SOLVED: Update to 1.5.2 units of measure disappear

Bricks Version: 1.5.2
Browser: Chrome last version
URL: https://buenaondat9.sg-host.com/
URL:https://previoswp.net/bricks/

I just installed the latest version of bricks 1.5.2 and the unit selectors like px, rem, % etc. have disappeared. In all template constructors etc. It only allows me to enter a number, but I cannot select the type of unit, be it pixels, rem, percentage etc.

Sin-tĂ­tulo-3

They were removed in 1.5.1

Many of us are hoping they come back though and tweak things here - Improved Margin / Padding Controls - #69 by jornes

5 Likes

@Deanphillips Hopefully.

1 Like

As I put into a topic I just raised on rem being converted to px, units set in the theme for an element’s padding and margin are also not being shown in the layout properties when that element is added to the canvas, so you have no idea what a value’s unit is.

Yes not seeing units is not very intuitive. Would like to see them return as well

3 Likes

Hi Federico,
Welcome to the forum, and thanks so much for your report!

As Dean already said, this is not a bug. The default unit is px - accordingly, no unit is displayed in this case. This step is a part of the soon-to-be-released “Set Default Unit” feature:

Best regards,
timmse

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but not showing a unit because it’s set as default is madness. The default unit should be preselected in a dropdown of all available units - that is all.

4 Likes

Why you don’t release both features together?
This way the UI will only get worse instead of better.

And tbh I still have no idea of how the “set default feature” should work out in case of compensating the list of all useable units.

2 Likes

Hey all,

Just thought I’d throw in my two cents as well.

On one side, losing the dropdown is a bit of a bummer and I can sort of understand the frustration, but…

On the other side, is it really that difficult to remember the 3-4 unit types that you typically use daily as a professional? Surely you don’t use them all regularly? I see no real benefit to having a list of units laying around on every single input taking up space other than as a reference maybe? But can’t you just pull up a reference sheet and throw it up on your second monitor if it’s that critical? And those that don’t know or care about the units (clients) are just going to type a bigger number if they want something bigger, or a smaller number if they want something smaller. That is if they’re allowed to touch brick at all.

3 Likes

I agree with you, it seems illogical as a “professional developer” not to know the property you need, either px, %, vh, calc, etc… In my small opinion, I like it as it is currently, but each person is free to express his opinion. I just hope they look for a good balance and don’t end up damaging things to please everyone.

Well we aren’t all what you term professionals ( I really dislike that term ) and no we can’t all remember all the units.
Also when handing over a site to someone else, they really need little reminders like this so they understand what has been set.

2 Likes

yes this is what i am trying to communicate since the beginning. we got many predefined widgets to use inside. for easy use and users with not much exp. … and then we got units removed. this just doens’t fit together.

4 Likes

Fully agree, @grafikundso

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
We’ll re-evaluate when implementing the “Set default unit” feature.

You can still use any value + unit right inside the field, e.g., 10px, 5rem, 2em, 4vh, 3%, and so on.
If you only enter a number, e.g., 10, the unit is pixels (because currently, it’s the default). However, you can still write 10px if you want.

Once the “set default unit” feature is there, you can set, e.g., “rem” as default. So you can type 2.4 instead of 2.4rem. In my view, this will be a massive time-saver.

Best regards,
timmse

5 Likes

@timmse Will it be possible to set default value per control basis using theme style? Not globally. I don’t use a single unit for all controls.

3 Likes

Hi, I think you are missing the point. It is not about what you can enter, its about easily making the chosen value obvious. For a new comer to the site, let alone web building, there needs to be a visual representation of the value and the units.
Personally I don’t care about speed of things like this as I don’t build 28 sites a day. Its much more important to me to be able to pick up a site after a lay off and immediately see what is what. I don’t think I can do that unless I double check the default settings before hand, assuming I even know there are default settings.

I liked the earlier idea of having a drop down and the default setting putting the chosen unit at the top of the list or at least the default when the drop down is opened.

Just my 2 cents.

8 Likes

Agreed! And even with the default option they could have kept this (as microthemer does - Improved Margin / Padding Controls - #70 by Deanphillips)

I know bricks is constantly listening to feedback but this one really feels like it missed the mark. Hopefully we’ll see a better implementation than just adding in a single default unit and removing the drop down completely .

4 Likes

It seems like kind of a non-issue to me. If you want the unit to show in the box, just type it in the box. The only time the unit won’t show is if you use the default. Surely you would use the same default unit for all the sites you build. So I’m not really following what a huge bummer this is to everyone.

As far as clients go, I doubt they will care whether it’s px, rem, %, vh, vw, etc. They just want bigger or smaller, so they’ll change the number accordingly regardless of the unit.

Maybe a hover tooltip with all the units listed would suffice for those that need a visual of the available options?

This means I have to hit shift+5 every time I want to enter a unit with % every time. Why every time? Because if I try to select only the number with my mouse, numbers getting changed up and down. In terms of usability, this is just broken.

And as omega pointed out, not everyone using only rem for all units.

Or where would a user know what units he can use - by guessing? I know, many here are thinking every user needs to know all existing units … but is this really the case? And is guessing the right approach, I am not sure. Not to mention what’s happening with typo errors.

For me, this is still one of the most strange “improvements” seen for a while. But I still hope for further improvements and / or a rework / change. (For example: not only the global unit option but also an option to turn this off and get units back)

And one more thing, a non experienced user doesn’t get any benefit of hiding available units (and hide units for global set units completely) and it causes a decent amount of confusion. A pro user won’t be affected in any way when available units are showing up.

What I really don’t understand is when people are around here explaining to other people what’s all a non-issue. Same for how clients handling their websites. No one will know how clients / agencies work together and how much confusion such things may create.

For me, this is not in any way about what I want, or how I would use, for me it’s about what’s the best and easiest way for both worlds, the pro side and the beginner side.

6 Likes

Yes. This is so true. To implement Set Default Unit, doesn’t need to remove the unit, IMO.

When Setting Default Unit is executed, just make those units show the default units that users have set. If they want to use a different unit, then they can type in the value field, hit enter(or click with mouse if they want to), and then it will change accordingly as previous.

1 Like