SOLVED: Update to 1.5.2 units of measure disappear

I totally agree, also the is not a feature that was requested

I also find it super weird working without units.

I love it the way it is now. Of course the default is pixels. Type in your custom unit by hand. Team: please do not reintroduce the units–they are so destructive to the editor design wise and they used to slow us down…

1 Like

omg… another one - and on every other channel people are complaining, even in here. but yeah … “i love it, and i dont care if anyone other doesnt understand how to use” …

hopefully we will see an option for both versions.

2 Likes

btw another thing to add. if it will be kept that way its a 100% confirmation for me bricks is obviously not planing to grow more.

Actually, I guess we should shut up and let the team do their work and not distract and confuse them with our pathetic quarrel over units. Yeah. If I just could close this topic:)

2 Likes

Okay people, as the saying goes “if the mountain doesn’t go to maoma…” I have chosen to try, try and try and I have already gotten used to the new way of working and the truth is that it is a bit difficult at first, but once Once you understand how it works it can be a bit faster to work with.

1 Like

I also don’t see the reason for removing unit dropdown. I know that from developers perspective it is harder to maintain it and there are more room for errors, but to be honest, it was working pretty well already.
Now, somebody said that if you use variables it’s better if we don’t have unit dropdown and that is true, but if we use values, it’s was better before. Why?

• We could select the value with mouse
  • Users, which are new to web development don’t know all the units they can use and there was a FB post from that kind of user where he said that he didn’t remember what unit should be for full screen. Is it “fw”, is it “vh” or what. And before, he just opened the dropdown and he saw the unit.
  • Before, if we wanted to select only value, we could do it with doubleclick and that was it, now if we want to select it, (or if we want to select a unit only) and we want to select it with mouse, it’s harder and it also changes the value if we move mouse a little up or down.

So, I agree that it should be optional. Or if it was removed because of variables, they should hide the dropdown if they detect we type variables inside.

Overall, I don’t like this change. If it will be kept this way, I hope someday some kind of dropdown will get implemented back.

3 Likes

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Guys I would like to say that I am a beginner on bricks and I feel this conversation has left me out completely…

I hope to learn bricks better and at this stage I am not thinking about saving .00001 of a second on the keyboard. A dropdown of some kind would be a great visual que especially as a number on its own means nothing to me!!!

I just ask the team to have some consideration for new users…

3 Likes

I think the problem here is logic, consistency and accessibility.

On one side you have margin and padding “dumbified” (sorry for the term, I don’t think it’s dumb, but this passes the message) because people don’t like the default order that was more logical and how CSS order them. For a tool focused on “developers”, this wasn’t really a logical decision, although I do like the accessibility side of it. And I think it improves greatly on the UI, although compromising in using strings like vars. But fair enough.

On the other side it seems like removing the units was a decision made solely based on the “developer mentality”, or in other words “if you are a professional you should know”. But this completely breaks accessibility (accessibility is more than supporting impaired people), negates the consistency and precedent around the “more visual” logic, and adds yet one more thing we should be remembering when setting-up units.

If the idea is to free up space, fine, remove the list. That’s no problem, but an indicator of what unit is being used inside, even if it’s the default unit is highly necessary! We need to be able to quickly see what’s going on at a glance without having to stop everything to remember what was defined as a default unit.

So please consider a middle ground. This is essential for an efficient workflow.
.thanks =)

8 Likes

Just adding my voice to the choir that I find visible units useful.

• There’s plenty of space for a dropdown
  • During the design process, it’s useful to be able to change values in 1-2 clicks.

Currently, if I want to briefly change rem to px to evaluate, and change back:

1. Click into value box

2. Navigate to the end of the value box if I didn’t click it perfectly at the end

3. Press backspace 3 times

4. Type px

5. Press backspace twice

6. Type rem

That’s 11-12 actions simply to evaluate which value I’d like to use.

Previous workflow:

1. Click unit dropdown

2. select unit

3. Click unit dropdown

4. select unit

Just 4 actions.

I’d love the following workflow/features:

• A default unit would still take precedence (and could show up in the placeholder)
  • The most recent unit section should override whatever is currently selected (ie; I choose rem via dropdown, but then type % on my next visit. % wins until the next selection)
  • The dropdown would be keyboard navigable. This way, I could click into the dropdown, and toggle units with up and down arrows while keeping 100% attention on the design.

Please make my Christmas wish come true :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

The previous action was only 2 (for me).

That was:

1. Type the value+unit at the same time,
  2. Hit enter.

When the time I hit enter, the unit in the value field will jump to the unit selector. That means the unit selector would automatically detect what we typed in the value field.

After that, when I want to highlight the entire value (to change the value), I can just double-click and highlight all the values, but not the unit, because the unit is separated.

Now we want to carefully highlight the value, because the unit is there together.

1 Like

In my opinion this was a regression. We went from having multiple options to achieve the same goal, to having only one option that limits and breaks our workflow.

Im not one of using on-widget styles very often. I either use utility classes or my own custom-props as values. So having the extra space helps a lot.

But when I have to change something or to check what is there, this really makes my work harder. I also had some issues already where I typed “rm” instead of “rem” without noticing, and couldn’t understand why it wasn’t working.

Granted I do this all the time with CSS, and have to review my dumb code decisions more often than I should (although VSCode helps a lot in that regard), the idea behind using a visual tool like Bricks is not to have to double check everything and work harder. It’s meant to facilitate our lives. And so far Bricks has been amazing in that regard.

But some of the decisions lately have been very strange and illogical compared to everything else. Maybe there has been a change in direction, or maybe it’s just miscommunication (I know the team is working hard and I value and appreciate their work, and I don’t think they should ask us about every single tiny decision made), but either way some of these decisions don’t make much sense to me. Am I missing something?

2 Likes

But removing the unit is not a tiny decision, to be honest.
It creates such a serious inconvenience for us.

2 Likes

Sure, that’s exactly what I meant.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with values changing when “mousing in” or trying to select the number. It’s super annoying and definitely broken.

1 Like

yes same here. reported already. and they said they will fix it. and I really hope this is fixed soon. crazy annoying