WIP: Slow Editor/Builder When Page Has Lots of Elements

Bricks Version: 1.3.7
Browser: Microsoft Edge Version 100.0.1185.36 (Official build) (64-bit)
URL: (Can share privately - please message me here or on FB)

Myself and my lead developer have noticed that the Bricks Builder editor experiences some pretty heavy lag when the page has many elements. We’ve experienced anything from very noticeable delays in scrolling, clicking/selecting elements, and having Bricks update those elements if we do something like change a property like a link URL. We’ve also had the editor screen go all white/black, and also see the editor “saving” icon keep looping indefinitely:

The server specs are pretty decent:

• 4 vCPU
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • 50 GB of SDD disk space

My OS and computer are decently spec’d as well:

• Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz
  • 64 GB RAM
  • NVMe SSD
  • Windows 10 Home Edition

We’re not using that many plugins either. Here’s our plugin list:

±------------------------------------------------------±---------±-------±--------+
| name | status | update | version |
±------------------------------------------------------±---------±-------±--------+
| advanced-custom-fields-pro | active | none | 5.12.2 |
| all-in-one-wp-migration | active | none | 7.57 |
| all-in-one-wp-migration-unlimited-extension | active | none | 2.45 |
| auto-image-attributes-from-filename-with-bulk-updater | active | none | 3.1 |
| better-search-replace | active | none | 1.4 |
| custom-post-type-ui | active | none | 1.11.2 |
| duplicate-page | active | none | 4.4.8 |
| easy-theme-and-plugin-upgrades | active | none | 2.0.2 |
| gridpane-redis-object-cache | active | none | 1.5.5 |
| better-wp-security | active | none | 8.1.0 |
| worker | active | none | 4.9.13 |
| nginx-helper | active | none | 2.2.2 |
| popup-maker | inactive | none | 1.16.7 |
| regenerate-thumbnails | active | none | 3.1.5 |
| wp-seopress | active | none | 5.6 |
| wp-seopress-pro | active | none | 5.6 |
| shortcode-in-menus | active | none | 3.5.1 |
| shortpixel-image-optimiser | active | none | 4.22.9 |
| ultimate-dashboard | active | none | 3.5.3 |
| ultimate-dashboard-pro | active | none | 3.5.2 |
| wp-rocket | active | none | 3.10.9 |
| wp-social-reviews | active | none | 3.5.4 |
| wp-social-ninja-pro | active | none | 3.5.4 |
| 0-worker | must-use | none | 1.0.0 |
| wp-cli-login-server | must-use | none | 1.3 |
| advanced-cache.php | dropin | none | |
| object-cache.php | dropin | none | |

Also, here are the site’s PHP settings:

Hello @ChrisCastillo

Welcome to the Bricks forum!

Could you please share with us temporary login details so we could check this for you? If so, please send it to the Bricks support email (help@bricksbuilder.io) and let us know which page should we check.

Thank you,
Luis

Hey Luis, I just wanted to comment that I think the builder performance has improved with the 1.4 Beta. I’ve been working on this project: https://kitchener.pdms.ca/. You can see there are a lot of elements on this homepage and I have not seen much lag or slow-downs. I’ll keep you posted if this changes at all.

2 Likes

Hey Chris,
quick update: we took a look at your (slow) page and found out that the page contains >700 elements, which is really a lot and probably far from a real, albeit extensive, page.

Since your example is a kind of style guide for your framework, it makes sense to create the individual areas as separate templates (e.g. one for typography, one for spacing, one for colors, etc.) and then integrate them one by one on a new page using the template element to include the template. This reduces the number of elements/template enormously and the performance losses are significantly lower.

Nevertheless, we will of course continue to try to improve the performance.

Best regards,
timmse

4 Likes

HI :slight_smile:
just to participate at the conversation, tested with firefox dev edition or brave, i had the same problem, as soon as there are a lot of elements on the page, almost duplicate elements, everything becomes incredibly slow. I ALSO use Breakdance and I had the same problems of slowness on large pages with a lot of elements … I’m going to change hardware today, from a ryzen 3700X with 16GB of ram to a 13700K processor with DDR5 at 6000mhz! I’ll see if that helps.

16 core, 64gb, nvme, 3070ti - lags in every browser, no matter how many elements. good luck changing :slight_smile:

i dont know if its my new PC or Bricks update but all is very quick now.