URL parameters for filters

Will there be an option to work with filters without ajax?

It would be nice to make a separate option, when enabled, parameters from the selected filters will be dynamically added to the shared URL.

It is also better to make these parameters configurable so that in the URL, instead of technical information about the request, you can see simple and understandable SEO parameters. This will make it easier to read information from the URL, as well as have a permanent link to the filtered page.

For SEO, of course, you will need more settings there, but you can start by adding parameters to the URL.

22 Likes

I wholeheartedly endorse this!!

That’s a must have, I agree

Yes please, we need this!

Agreed. A toggle for this functionality would be ideal. Without it, you can’t really do anything too advanced with the new filters, but with it you could do all sorts!

Another thing as an offshoot, would be to enable filters not connected to a query - but that instead simply pass their values to a url via query string, and pre filter the target page with their values

3 Likes

Upvote for this !
Optional and configurable search parameters would be needed.

1 Like

It is important that also supports browser’s window.history.go(-1); , so when an user goes back to previous page, the grid stands at the same position.

I mean, a customer filtering and browsing a product archive on page XX / sort by YY, then he visits a product and goes back, sadly the product grid resets, because the browser was not managing the filters and pages with an url. Same with Ajax.

2 Likes

In modern browsers and HTML5, there is a method called “pushState” on window history, and also “location” to alter the URL after applying, i.e, filters, or opening a modal or pop up. Wisely combined they will push changes from filters/sort to the browser’s URL and also pushing the URLs to the history without loading the page.

This additionally allows the visitor to create and share URL bookmarks that include filters and sorting parameters.

This can go further on sliders and modal pages presenting contents in sliders.
Instagram website is a good example, it always uses URL location/ pushstate method presenting posts on a slider which is contained on a modal box which lays over a grid layout. Despite this 4 level hyerarchical layout, each post can be easily bookmarked/shared by visitors, browser history and crawlers, and be navigated seamless on mobile displays without reloading the page.

The attribute location.reload(true) will optionally reload the page.

I hope this is supported soon by Bricks

5 Likes

I agree this is a must have.

But I am wondering, do the Bricks developers actually know what’s being asked here? Perhaps they don’t monitor the forum and need to be alerted? What’s the best way to do so?

If you want them to even consider a feature then you need to create a new idea for it. Then they may or may not accept it. If they do then people can vote for that idea.

I already submited the idea weeks ago, but it never got published on https://bricksbuilder.io/ideas/