SOLVED: Duplicate (WordPress): Escaped (backslash) quotation marks in ACF WYSIWYG field

Video: Jam

In the latest version, when creating a new post, using “Duplicate (WordPress)” to create a new post will damage the original content and insert characters. The more times “Duplicate (WordPress)” is used, the more characters are inserted. After testing, it is found that both the table and the anchor link will be damaged and characters will be inserted. What should I do?

I recorded a video. Please check the video operation. The operation in the video is reproduced using the official test of “https://try.bricksbuilder.io/”. This error is very easy to reproduce.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!

I reproduced the issue and added it to our bug tracker.

To summarize:

You use an ACF WYSIWYG field on your posts/pages, in which an HTML table is inserted. This table uses attributes such as colspan=“2”, or class=“xyz”.

After duplicating the post/page, the quotation marks are escaped with a backslash, but only in the duplicated posts/pages ACF WYSIWYG field. The more often you duplicate, the more backslashes you get.

Best regards,
timmse

Hi timmse,

Thank you for your prompt response and for reproducing the issue.

I appreciate you adding it to the bug tracker. I also wanted to mention that URLs are being affected as well. For example, an original link like:

<a href="/abc/defgh/">Here's a link</a>

gets changed to:

<a href=\"/abc/defgh/\">Here's a link</a>

This issue is causing significant problems, especially when duplicating posts/pages multiple times.

Is there an estimated timeline for when this bug might be addressed? In the meantime, are there any recommended workarounds to prevent the insertion of backslashes in the ACF WYSIWYG field when duplicating posts/pages?

Looking forward to your advice.

Best regards,
ben

In my tests everything still works fine in the front end (the source code looks clean, links are clickable etc.), so it seems to be just an “optical” problem in the back end.

Sure, it’s annoying…but as long as it doesn’t affect functionality, it’s not that bad :smiley:

As soon as possible :v:

Hi timmse,

Thank you for your quick response and for clarifying that the issue is mainly visual and does not affect front-end functionality.

While it’s reassuring to know that the front-end remains unaffected, the visual clutter in the back-end does make content management more cumbersome, especially for posts with numerous links and tables.

I appreciate your efforts to address this issue as soon as possible. If there are any updates or interim solutions, please let me know.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best regards,
ben

@timmse this is no optical issue. Please take a second look to my jam. It’s a real issue in frontend which was detected by sistrix and created a whole SEO mess sadly.

https://jam.dev/c/228eca44-cc83-4e54-8e84-86242dcd2d5a

Yes, if there are URL links in the content, then escaping will cause confusion in the URL links and lead to errors.

Hi Sebastian,
I only said that I can’t see any problems in the frontend - neither in the page source nor in the dev tools, and every link still works for me.

For example, the HTML page source of a duplicated post:

That sistrix probably doesn’t just check the frontend HTML/uses much more specific methods is very likely and it’s great that it points out the errors. We’re working on it!

That’s not the case on my page.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-27 um 11.38.37

As you see a backslash is added and that creates a 404.

Before the links looked worse (more backslashes and also other signs when I remember correct). Seems like an escaping problem to me but that’s only an idea.

Hi guys,

We’ve fixed this issue in Bricks 1.10, now available as a one-click update in your WordPress Dashboard.
You can see the full changelog here: Bricks 1.10 Changelog – Bricks

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Best regards,
M