Only show parent term from custom taxonomy

Hello,

How can I only show the top-level taxonomies when using a query loop to show posts?

So for example I have a custom post type called ‘stores’ and a custom taxonomy called ‘store category’
The store category example is built up like this:

• DIY
    (-construction, -home, -etc)
  • Fashion
  • Outdoor
    (-climbing, running, hiking)

I have made query to show all the stores with name, location, etcetera. But I also want to show the ‘store category’ per “post” but only the main level. So only DIY, Fashion or Outdoor should been shown.

I think I need another query loop within the queryloop, but then? I can’t really figure it out yet.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Maybe this can help:

1 Like

I have looked at that functionality and It would definitely help on the short term. But it can quickly become a big maintenance as more taxonomy categories get added. So I hope there is a more scalable solution available.

If I understand you correctly, you were trying to output the top level category for each loop right?

You should create a custom php function and use a basic text element to echo out.

Example:

function itchy_prod_first_level_categories() {
  global $product;
  if($product) {
	//Get the current product category
    $terms = get_the_terms( $product->get_id(), 'product_cat' );

$cats = [];

//Loop the terms and only save terms parent id is 0
    foreach( $terms as $term ) {
		if ($term->parent > 0) continue;
		$cats[] = $term->name;
    }

//Return the first parent term only
    return (count($cats) > 0) ? $cats[0] : '';
  }
}

And I output this in my product loop template

4 Likes

Hi, yes of a custom taxonomy.
So I’ll have to tweak your code a bit. Will definitely try it.

sure, just change product_cat to your custom taxonomy

You can do this with the default Bricks query loop by setting the parent value to 0.

3 Likes

You probably fixed this by now, but for future visitors - you can do this with no code - on any page.
The ‘parent 0’ trick only works for main categories - if you go to a subcat, it breaks (because these have parents).
You can get ONLY the NEXT CHILD Categories by putting {echo:get_queried_object_id}
In both PARENT and CHILD OF - in the query.
In a category archive, this returns just same-level categories, enabling you to ‘walk down’ the category tree and show ‘next branches’ to go down - with a single template.

So on you store it would show DIY, FASHION, OUTDOOR
Go to OUTDOOR - and the same archive template shows climbing, running, hiking

If you had Hiking->boots, trousers, gear
Then on Hiking page it would show those… ad infinitum.

4 Likes

Hello to all,

How can we display only the child of a category?

Put the cat ID in Parent.

{echo:get_queried_object_id} works perfectly

In category archive, if you want to show the child of that category, just put CHILD OF - term ID.

What I would like to know is, how to do this, but when you are not on category archive. Like, I wanna do this in my mega menu… I am trying to make a query loop of terms, but one that only shows second level terms. Can’t figure it out…

@Anze that’s a more complicated ask because you need to check if the term has a parent AND that parent is top level. So you’d need to create your own helper function and then use the return… based on something like this:

But modified to return the complete string:

// Now we can loop again, and ONLY output terms who's parent are in the top-level id's (aka, second-level categories)
foreach( $categories as $category ) {
    // Only output if the parent_id is a TOP level id
    if( in_array( $category->parent_id, $top_level_ids )) {
        echo $category->term_id . ', ' . $category->slug . ', ' . $category->name . '<br />';
    }
}

Becomes something like:

$html = "<ul>";
foreach( $categories as $category ) {
    if( in_array( $category->parent_id, $top_level_ids )) {
        $html .= "<li>" . $category->name . '</li>';
    }
    $html .= "</ul>";
    return $html;
}

Only filled out with the link etc.

I think I actually managed to do what I wanted. I’m not even sure if it’s the right way. Basically what I did was created a query loop that display top parent terms by setting parent to 0 and then within that query loop I created another query loop that has CHILD of term_id. The inside query loop recognizes that it is in fact a child of the parent above it and properly displays only second level categories.

Now I started thinking if this would actually work if my second level categories had children of themselves (which they don’t and I don’t think they ever will on this page) but it’s breaking my brain. :rofl: …Actually it probably would work but the level 3 term would have to only have one parent assigned to it (the one above it).

1 Like

I’m using a Posts Query Loop but also want to deal with parent and child terms separately (currently it just spits out all terms in alphabetical order…). Post here:

Maybe someone can help—thanks!!