Image optimization tips and plugin recommendations

We use the paid for version of Compressor - the results are really impressive.

Currently it’s a manual process, so I’m interested in what you say about EWWW.

@timmse - You’ve found that EWWW and Bricks play well together?

Hey Flim Flam,

I used to use that too but the free version, but I made the switch to Ewww as you can set it to resize the images on upload. So I have that set to 1920x1260. Then it also compresses it and generates .webp images too. Massive time saver.

1 Like

Jep @flimflam!

Apart from the fact that it works excellent with bricks, it’s a good investment either way. Just try the free version for a few days, and if you’re convinced, you can always get the AppSumo deal, which is still running.

But as I said, the free version already offers quite a few outstanding features.

3 Likes

newbie here
Doesn’t webp converter for media do what Ewww does ? I am trying to understand if this plugin does a better job or not than Ewww

Hey,

Both do probably the same (convert images), but I’ve never used webp converter for media before.

Looks good at first glance though!

Hi @Guccifer

I have no idea about Webp converter for media, because I didn’t use that before.

Previously, I used WP LS Cache to convert my images to webp. But, I noticed that the images converted by WP LS Cache not that good. Because the images convereted by WP LS Cache were not displaying on old iPad/iPhone. After I started using EWWW, the images are visible on old iPad/iPhone.

Hello @jornes, thank you for sharing!

Btw, on my site, Bricks editor cannot be loaded whenever EWWW Settings > Easy IO > Include All Resources is checked

Do you have any tips what to exclude so when include all resources is checked, Bricks editor can be run?

1 Like

Odd, I have Include all resources checked and Bricks works fine.
I did have issues with the related SWIS performance plugin that stopped Lightroom from working properly. Uncheck “Optimize JS Loading” to fix that.

Hey @Syahrenzy
If Bricks is not working for you, then you have to exclude Bricks in the field “Exclusion”.

Hope it helps. :blush:

Hi @Syahrenzy,

I’ve just looked into one of the sites with EWWW + Easy IO enabled: no problems at all, even with “Include All Resources” enabled.

Do you have other plugins installed that might interfere with Easy IO?

Best regards,
timmse

@alanj Noted, I am using breeze from Cloudways eventhough I also have SWIS Performance since I am using Cloudways for hosting…

@jornes @timmse Thanks! It works now without doing anything. I guess I report the issue too fast after changing the CDN address. Forget about the cache… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey everyone. I’m wondering if people are still loving EWWW. I am in the process of using Bricks for my first build and transitioning over from a massive squarespace site where literally everything was put in poster-print-sized png’s forever :grimacing: :upside_down_face: (not by me lol). I’m pricing out image optimization options. I figured it was worth a check back in to see if people still like this tool and if there are any known issues I should prepare for before installing.

EWWW has always worked great for me.

If you are using a Litespeed server, you can consider using Quic Cloud CDN and also the image optimiser by Litespeed. It’s working great as well. And it’s free.

2 Likes

@questyquesty I am the same as @Jornes it works great.

One thing I love about Ewww is that you can set the max width and height of images uploaded so I set mine to 1920 x 1260 so you will never have any of your supersized poster prints it will then also will convert the images to webp format and you can set the quality too of the conversion.

1 Like

Hi,

I use WebP converter for media on all my sites (except those with LSCache) and it is awesome.
The dev is also really nice and reactive.

I never compress images and still can get 98%-100% mobile (Wordpress already compresses JPG to 82% and I don’t like these plugins quality loss.).
Just select the right image size when inserting on your page and it’s OK.

In code blocks, you can use wp_get_attachment_image() function to get the right size.

And last thing, don’t use background-image on sections but use absolute positionned images instead so that srcset can be generated.

2 Likes

@yankiara

I have something need to learn from you.
To replace the background image with the absolute positioned image, how do you achieve background-size: cover? How do you achieve the background-position we used to do with the background-image?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Simply with object-position and object-fit properties, which are the equivalent for img tag :slight_smile:

[EDITED: it was of course object-fit and not object-size!]

1 Like

Yup object-fit is one of my favourite additions to 1.3.7 / 1.4.0! :muscle:

Does this also reduce the size of the upload…example I have 4000 x 2000 image will it resize it too or just converts it?

@jornes

There’s no resize by the plugin, so only by WP for each media size defined.
(I never upload such sizes because it takes too long with my connection and because WP keeps the original file on disk :wink: )

Then the webp conversion is done on every media size, and webp files are saved in a specific folder.

In the end webp or classic files are served to the browser according to their support, with the help of rules in .htaccess, this is brilliant.

1 Like

Which plugin is it exactly? Do you have a link? Thanks :slight_smile: