Dropping Bricks Builder. Moving to Zion Builder

and the reason I am moving to Bricks is because it, hopefully, won’t need the huge “ecosystem” of plugins to do what I need. I got very fed up with Elementor but perhaps even more so with all the extra plugins needed. It’s not just the hidden costs of these ( why do some charge so much for a very basic single task? ) but more the support issues.
It’s like herding cats, so I’ve been told. Hardly anyone takes responsibility and are quick to point a finger at a “conflict”.

So for me I’m very happy not having extensions to Bricks itself. Having a niche plugin to do a job that Bricks is never likely to do is a different matter. e.g. A Membership plugin.

BTW not all of us develop sites for paying clients. Some of us just do it for enjoyment and to support other, non web related, communities.

Anyway well said @Michael

Cheers
Alan

6 Likes

Please stop with your conspiracy theories. I am using Bricks since last year but have registered only in March of this year on the forum. I have been reading the forums silently. I didn’t registered until I faced an issue with ACF repeater output. I switched to Zion because only it or Oxygen Builder supports ACF repeater output natively. I also have Oxygen Builder license but not using it due to slow backend loading.

1. They have commited to 2 weeks release cycle and it’s more feature rich already.
  2. It’s good to have 3rd party dev because if core is taking time to dev, 3rd party can compensate and add more to it. Zion addons had to remove few features recently as they got added in the core. So it helps the user in the absence. In any case user will need to purchase Bricks license before they buy the plugin. So there is no loss to Bricks in any case. It’s user’s choice to buy a plugin or not. You don’t buy. No body is forcing you.
  3. Apart from Nested Element - Lack of ACF Repeater support is a major bummer for me.
  4. I wasn’t aware of this feature being already there. Anyways Thomas confirm it is there.

Regarding the discord chats, Thomas asked for the concerns with the API and I shared the same.

It is a fair thread and honest feedback.

I understand your urge to “defend” Bricks but showing this sort of hostility won’t help much. It is the owners’ job to decide if this type of feedback is legit or harmful. If you want to police the forums, maybe you should apply for a moderator?

I am sure the community appreciates your efforts, but maybe you shouldn’t see yourself in the position of someone who can attack other Bricks users or question their motives.

Having addons is beneficial from a purely marketing PoV. People want to see lots of options/components - even if it’s just because it has become a norm and is perceived as a sign of a popular and healthy builder. Even if they never use/buy them.

In any case, I don’t see how 3rd party products would be bad for Bricks.

2 Likes

Wowzers hostility :rofl:, dang I didn’t know articulated responses now amounted to hostility! What next a petition to call Bricks by a pronoun so it’s inclusive for all haha!!

Nope, no intention of policing, or being a moderator. Fortunately, you can see my history of input and contributions to the community and it’s 99% all about love peace and Gandhi! It’s a pity I cannot do the same for the majority in this thread. Equally no appreciation needed, Always happy to help genuinely where I can as I have been that person asking for help in the past.

I guess I am a little old school in my values where I would not announce my departure to a competitor in their forum (A little uncouth for me). I would either put it as a feature request or maybe…just leave?

You seem to think I do not like 3rd party products, or see the value in them. This is wrong. I use caching plugins, I use custom field plugins, Multilingual plugins, SEO plugins etc.

What I don’t believe in is that Bricks NEEDS to have something like ziUltimate or whatever its called to survie/Or Bricks will never be any good because it doesn’t have Ziultimate or whatever.

@omega Have you not left yet, I thought you would be riding the Zion wave (+5 plugins you desperately need) to Nirvana! (THIS IS A JOKE BTW, for those who are a little bit sensitive).

Viva La Bricks - or you will be arrested! (Another joke)

2 Likes

I did the exact opposite today! Dropped Zion for Bricks on my last project.
I’m fluently using O2,Divi, Zion or Cwicly depending on my projects. I bought Bricks on its first release and let it grow and get better until this morning.
On Zion, i wanted to set a background video on a hero header. I was surprised to see that the video was not looping and there was no option to do so. This annoyed me so I switched to Bricks for a first try. Bricks is a very nice tool. It’s true that there are no “eye candy” modules, but the workflow is just awesome. So I end up with a faster O2 with an awesome and easy loop builder. Bricks is still young and I believe it will become one of the best page builders out there. For the moment I reserve it for simple projects wich won’t require ajax post loading and more advanced stuff, but over time it will become my main tool given the speed of this builder.

7 Likes

Whaat? Oxygen doesn’t even offer a Documentation how to create elements. They have made one Video now, but that took very long. So I think bricks offers more than others in that case.

My personal opinion about the API is that it will be focused when we have nested elements ready. I could imagine that that features will have a lot of influence on how elements can be created by devs!

3 Likes

1. Slow Update Cycle

I agree I would love some 2 weeks update cycle for bugs… But maybe it is just utopia nowadays.

2. Lack of 3rd Party Dev

No please, don’t take the Oxygen path with this ridiculous profusion of addons and just make a professional product that doesn’t need plugins for decent slider, copy-paste or (bad) design tweaks.

I’m OK to wait a bit for a good native slider like OxyExtras caroussel but I won’t buy a plugin for this anymore.
With Bricks I guess I’ll be able to remove many plugins from my typical WP installs, so let’s keep it that way :wink:

10 Likes

Nice to read your comments Michael and AlanJ. I’m also hoping to see someone do it “right” this time so that we can do some nice web design without need to buy a plugin for every small thing and suffer from the plugin conflicts.

I see Bricks different from others as Thomas seems to have a passion for the project and has that little splash of German perfectionism and functionalism that is needed for this type of product to succeed. :slight_smile: I see Bricks as Mercedes Benz of builders. Every part in it will be well thought.

I’m confident that with time Bricks is gonna grow to an amazing builder and for the most part it already is. At the moment we should try enjoy the small Christmas on every update.

I do agree that it would be nice to get more regular fixes both for beta releases and stable releases. This would really activate the community to point out the bugs and feel the progress!

8 Likes

Just tested ACF Repeater and Metabox Group in 1.4 RC. @thomas - Amazing work down there! I am also happy to read your announcement of faster update cycles. Two of my major concerns are solved. Now I look forward to nesting of elements so I can take full benefit of these new queries into complex layouts. I am moving back to Bricks! Thank you for all the hard work.

9 Likes

Just a heads up. Comparison page for Zion vs Bricks at Zion’s website is outdated now. Zion Builder vs Bricks vs Oxygen vs Elementor vs Divi - Zion Builder

It was made at 1.3.7. Bricks 1.4 will perfom better now since there is no jquery loaded on the front-end and the dom is even smaller with removal of extra wrappers.

Many features are added in 1.4 which negates many points in the comparison.

Most importantly this point is null and void. Bricks have more 3rd party developers working for it now. Bricksable, Max-Addons, BricksUltimate, BricksExtras, Automatic.css (upcoming) and some others who are working on it.

1 Like

listen, I tried it for half an hour on chrome and it works really bad … bordering on unusable

@ninmorfeo I assume you mean Zion?

yes exactly I am referring to zion. I tried to set up a couple of nested containers which he calls sections and I wasn’t able to control their width, alignment … the input values ​​were freezing, at some point the slider of the percentage of the box size stopped attached to the mouse and went up and down by itself … I had to reload the page … alias… job thrown. If it happened with briks I would have thrown it down the toilet immediately …

Third-party addons have been an integral part of any sort of development since forever. It’s a bit weird to demand that a product contain absolutely all the features or conveniences that you need, especially if third parties already provide them. You want OxyExtras functionality in Bricks, but don’t want to use BricksExtras… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Well, I was not talking about O/B/Extras, which I bought for both builders, by the way, because I know they add some value to the products and I’m sure they’re gonna add usefull stuff and stay ahead of any builder basic needs.

And of course I don’t expect Bricks to add hotspot or crazy flibbox or timeline elements, but I expect copy/paste between sites, for instance, and I hope (well, I know) they will implement it and not rely on a third party plugin like O2 did.

Seeing their roadmap and after a few weeks exchanging with team, I’m very confident now that Bricks ecosystem will not become like O2 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I believe in Bricks. I don’t believe in Bricks + 5 addons.
Amazingly put @Michael .
And just to offer my opinion as a newbie, faker developer, because I cannot code, I want to say- Thank you Thomas and Bricks! For me, this is all I need. I would love to see the motion.page by Bricks, (moving stuff would be awesome), and that ideea already has 1008 votes, so I think that Bricks right now is all a non-dev that wants to create fast websites needs. So I am happy to wait and be part of this!

3 Likes

Exactly my point Alan!
Thank you for taking the time to comment!

What do you mean by Motion.page by Bricks? The Motion.page plugin isn’t specific to any builder, and it mentions compatibility with Bricks on its homepage anyway.

1 Like

The things that motion does can be done just by bricks.period. That functionality is an ideea put forward and since it is very easy on the eye, I think it is very important for people like myself,no devs…that want to impress. That is it basically. Hopefully in a year it will be there…that was my point.

1 Like

I wonder what OG has to say about updates and communication from zionbuilder side these days.
There haven’t been updates for three months, developers don’t give etas nor any hint what month it will come. There’s something going on behind the curtains and it’s not looking good.

2 Likes