A Possible Change To The Template Logic

Hey One & All,

I noticed that a few more people here and on FB are asking questions about how to insert a template section and either

1. I change the template on the page, but it affects it everywhere.

2. I make a change to the template but it does not affect the rest of them.

For those who are not aware of the current logic, please see below:

• If you want to add a template that acts globally, then you have to use the template element and select the template that way.

• If you want to add a template that does not act globally, then you have to insert the template using the folder icon above the structure panel

I believe most users use the second option but expect the behaviour of the first option in terms of it being global.

However, an issue with the current logic is if I create a section on a page and then decide to save it as a template to reuse on other pages, we run into an issue.

Because the original section is not wrapped in the template element, it won’t update even if the new ones added on other pages are in a template element. This means I have to delete the section, add a template element and then re-add the template back in which is unnecessary.

My suggestion is to have only one way to insert the template or keep both ways of inserting the template but having the same logic of having them both global.

We now have the benefit in 1.4 of unlinking from global, so when we want it to be a standalone element and not be affected by others so we can make changes and edit it slightly, we can unlink it from the global template.

I hope that makes sense, but I think it is an improvement on workflow and less complicated for those unaware of the different logic being applied.

Many thanks

Mick

6 Likes

Hi,

Thanks mate for this report, wanted to write about his for a long time… So my two cents on this.

Oxygen has a better way to insert template. You select “reusable” element in left panel, then choose editable (paste saved template and is editable and does not affect other instances) or global (not editable and… global!).

I guess it is more consistent than having to browse different panels like Bricks.

But it doesn’t solve the issue of saving as template, which doesn’t turn the saved container to template element. So you still have to delete, reload, re add :wink:
Which is not so odd to me: you may want to save something as template for backup or reusable purpose or any other reason, not affecting the current page.

What would be nice is the ability to replace the saved element with the associated template with a click, without having to reload page, delete and add template.

Related topic: I like the Bricks way of editing global element anywhere (and affecting all other instances), but unfortunately, it doesn’t apply to section templates.

What would be awesome is unifying both kinds of globals (container templates and global elements), with same way of saving, recalling, and editing anywhere!

1 Like

I agree Yan,

I think there are a few ways to achieve it either using only the template element (reusable element in 02) or the folder way or even both. I think the main issue is consistency and having them both work the same way instead of one doing it one way (not global) and the other a different way (global).

Even I know the current logic, but second guess myself think…“do I need to use the template element or folder to make this global” haha

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about this.

In O2, yes we could have a “local” or a “Global” template.

When I wanted to insert a template and have it editable inside the page, I could do that. If I wanted to have a template that when injected, was still editable “Globally”.

This is something I would really like to see in Bricks.

3 Likes

@timmse @thomas

Please can the info in the first post (also below) be added into the academy page for templates. It is very very helpful information to know. I have spent about an hour trying to figure this out.

For those who are not aware of the current logic, please see below:

1 - If you want to add a template that acts globally, then you have to use the template element and select the template that way.

2 - If you want to add a template that does not act globally, then you have to insert the template using the folder icon above the structure panel

My initial thoughts and understanding would be to add the template via the folder icon which would be a “global” template so to speak and allow edits everywhere. This is the reverse of what happens as the global option is via the template element.

A little addition to the academy could make this much easier to understand if you don’t know

1 Like

I’m still trying to wrap my head around this, coming from Oxygen. I created a template and can add it from the folder (top right), but in my + elements, I do not see the template I created. I tried adding the “Template” element, and from there it says search for templates, but that drop-down is blank. Even if I type in the name of my template, it does not show up. None of them do. I read all the template pages on the academy but there is no info about this that I saw. Is there a “how to create and use section templates” anywhere? Video, blog, whatever?

Edit Disregard. After refreshing the page, the drop-down now shows my templates.

1 Like