WIP: Product gallery bugs

Browser: Chrome 115

By checking the new options in the Product gallery element, a few things caught my attention, which I will explain below.

1- Wasn’t there a better way to deal with THUMBNAILS overflow than the Slider: Height (px) option? so that the alignment of THUMBNAILS with the main image is done automatically? In fact, when the slider is inactive, the THUMBNAILS are automatically aligned with the main image. But when I activate the slider, the alignment is very annoying. This item is well implemented in the jet product gallery plugin.

Screensho

2- When I set the THUMBNAILS position to right or left, the slider works abnormally. There aren’t actually more images to scroll, but it scrolls.

Screenshot_1

Finally, what is very important in this element is the automatic alignment of THUMBNAILS with the main image in slider mode, which I hope can be solved. thanks

1 Like

Hi Jolia,

Difficult because then either the main gallery image or the thumbnails would have to grow or shrink automatically. Which of both would you prefer, and where is the limit? This is a rhetorical question since it’s probably different for every user, which makes it even more complicated to find a solution that works in any case for every user.

Would love to take a look, however there is no demo on the JetProductGallery site - or I can’t find it. Can you provide me with a link?

The slider slides until the last image, as can be seen in your screenshot. I don’t understand the issue, to be honest.

Best regards,
timmse

Yes, you are right about that.

I will share a video soon to reveal the problem.

thank you!

Hi again @timmse,

I’m here to describe bug #2 in detail.

Please watch the video below. Carousel works fine when thumbnails are displayed at the bottom. But when thumbnails are displayed on the right or left side, when the thumbnails slider reaches the end, two slide are still scrolled blankly.

Please scroll through the product gallery in the link below. This is expected behavior.

I’ve also noticed that the position of thumbnails can’t be set individually for different breakpoints. Often, it’s suitable to place the thumbnails on the left or right in a desktop view, but on mobile, it would be better to place them at the bottom. The current setting is not user-friendly.

2 Likes

Great idea @Ying. I had not noticed it before.

Of course, I think if responsive support is added to thumbnails, the ability to use different icons at each breakpoint should also be added. Because if the position of thumbnails is at the bottom, the direction of the slider icons is left and right. But if the thumbnails are displayed on the right or left side, we have to use the top and bottom icons, which is currently not possible.

Hi Jolia,
I have discussed the issue with the team. We will try to adjust the scroll behavior on the vertical slider. Probably this is a flexslider problem (the js library that WooCommerce uses for its slider).

Implementing responsive settings for the thumbnail direction might be possible but tricky, as it’s about initializing and destroying the flexslider when the breakpoints change. We’ll take a look at this as well.

thank you @timmse, But one question…

If responsive support is added to the thumbnails position option, how will the arrows icon behave in the thumbnails slider?
Suppose on the desktop, the position of thumbnails is at the bottom. Therefore, we will use the left and right icons for the thumbnails slider. Then, on tablets and mobile phones, we set the position of thumbnails on the left or right. Therefore, considering that the slider is vertical, we must use the top and bottom icons. But in this case, the desktop icon (left and right) will also change. I am right?

The problem will be solved only if the icons support responsive mode.

First of all, we have to check whether this is possible at all. If it is, we will also think about the rest, which is superfluous at this point.

1 Like

Hi, I recently encountered the same issue and created a how-to post about it.

I’m not sure how challenging it would be for your team to implement this patch, but currently, this issue makes the WooCommerce Product Gallery element barely usable for production. Do you have any (good) news about this? any ETA?

I believe an infinite scroll option would also be effective, if that is easier to implement… Thanks.