WIP: How to use the new Post Content element with bricks data source (if you have an existing page template already set-up)

Hi guys. I’m just adding this as it took me a while to realised what my problem was but if you have an existing single page template set-up prior to the 1.3.5 release (that brought in the new Post Content data source option) you may experience the double-content (template within a template) whammy that switching to the use 'bricks data source introduces.

IE If you have an existing single page template set up prior to the 1.3.5 release and switch the Post Content element to use bricks, bricks seems to insert the entirety of your previous template into the bricks content data source. To fix this you (or I) had to got through existing posts and completely delete all the transposed previous template elements and copy over just the elements which were unique to the post (custom post type in my case).

PS A related ‘how to’ on this that I don’t have answer to is how to invoke the same Bricks post content data dynamically in terms of {post_content} tags for custom loops that were previously pulling the wp post content into the fields loop (nb through the Posts element Fields or directly).

Although you might prefer to categorise this as a bug if this behaviour wasn’t intended or can’t be fixed within the software.

Hello @Quantos

I’m not able to reproduce the issue you described with the Post Content element. As far as I understood, you have a template created previously (before 1.3.5) and in there you have a Post Content element. After 1.3.5 you switched the Post Content data source to Bricks, and suddenly you got the same template elements inside the template itself?

Let me know which template type are you using and which populated content were you using when that happened. Do you know how to reproduce?

The dynamic data {post_content} tag retrieves the Gutenberg editor content. The current Bricks version doesn’t have the logic to retrieve the Bricks data using this tag.

That’s right Luis - and thanks for the fast reply. Grabs emailed to you earlier this morning. The template type is a “single” custom post type. I’ve replaced the template content on all the single item pages already and each was the same although some of them had existing test bricks content from way back when I was trying to work out what on earth was happening to the bricks content after I had updated in Bricks. Of course, pre 1.3.5 the answer was ‘nothing’ - but those pages that did have old Bricks post content, as well as WP post content, did display fine when I switched the single CPT template to use ‘bricks’ data. It was only the other pages that had no bricks post content that exhibited the template within a template error.

When editing these “template within a template” error pages absolutely all the existing template elements from the single CPT template were there in the bricks builder ui - just to explain that further.

Re: the dynamic data {post_content} tag: that will have to be rolled out or your data scheme for this won’t work (as we still won’t be able to add bricks content and use dynamic tags, in Posts loops as the example, to show it. Right now my news landing page Posts elements, for instance, are all bereft of post content - so that’s a bit of a clanger how it stands and my test client for this will be tapping his fingers again.

Hello @Quantos

I was able to reproduce the issue after your last email.

These were the steps I followed to reproduce it:

1. Create one post with gutenberg content.
  2. Create a single post Bricks template with the condition post type = post with some elements
  3. Set “Load Gutenberg Data Into Bricks” in the Bricks > Settings
  4. Enable “Posts” to be edited with Bricks in the Bricks > Settings
  5. Go to Posts, and edit the first post with Bricks.
  6. The Bricks builder will open with the template Bricks data and not with the post gutenberg data.

This is not related with the Post Content element.

Thanks Luis. Well done for unravelling that. I couldn’t! :slight_smile:

But for anyone else that manages to get in the same pickle, the simple solution mentioned at the beginning is to delete any template elements transposed into the Bricks editor and add just the content you did want there instead … and I haven’t seen any issues since. Good to know you’ll be cleaning that up anyway Luis. Cheers