WIP: Builder Access Privileges

Hi!

Today, I added a new user(myself) and assigned myself as an editor. When I signed in as an editor, I found everything was good because I could only edit the content.

But, I noticed two issues.

1. Editor can create new classes for the elements. Also, they can apply the existing classes to the element(it would have the chance to break the site by the editor).

2. Hover mode editing: as I see, there is no use case for an editor. So, it should be disabled for editor access.

In my opinion, only users with administration or full-access users levels can access these two things.

Here is the screencast I made.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you!

*feel free to move this thread to a different subject if it does not belong to “Improvements”.

Regards,
Jornes

Hi Jornes,

Thanks for the hint! Yes, the builder access feature still needs some attention in one place or another, no question. In addition, there are certainly a few other elements where access should be further restricted (like changing the wrapper of the container, for example).

Did you notice any other things? If you see anything else in the future, feel free to let us know here in this thread.

Best regards,
timmse

Hi @timmse

Thanks for the response!
Yes. There is something else to be restricted for the editor role.

Hi,

The rich text element is a tough one because it allows pure content on the one hand and its styling on the other. Separating this somehow leads the element ad absurdum. Of course, we could remove type and style, but the general question is: where do you start to restrict, and where do you stop?

The fundamental problem is not that the page get’s entirely broken in most cases (apart from assigning classes that have a completely different function) - it just doesn’t look as planned. And you should warn the customer - one way or another - about that.

Suppose the customer wants to maintain posts and pages himself (with Bricks or another setup, with a Pagebuilder or without): In that case, I always make a small introduction with screen videos, explain the crucial points, and point out possible problems.

Of course, this doesn’t protect you from things going wrong, but the bottom line is that the responsibility lies with the customer. And if you then have to get back to the errors and problems that the customer has caused, you will probably be paid for it (hopefully).

As I said: this is a very tough element.

Best regards,
timmse

1 Like

@timmse

True. It’s understandable.

Suppose the customer wants to maintain posts and pages himself (with Bricks or another setup, with a Pagebuilder or without): In that case, I always make a small introduction with screen videos, explain the crucial points, and point out possible problems.

Great! I’ll do this to my customer.

So, for the moment, three things to restrict.

1. Creating/applying existing classes to the elements
  2. Hover mode editing
  3. Type & Style
  4. Revision should be restricted too.

I will dig more and update them here on this topic.

1 Like