Template Hierarchy for Pages Post Type

This may be super rudimentary, but I’m not sure of the answer.

We have a site we’re building out. We have around ten or so pages with custom layouts built using Bricks. However, we also have standard pages like Privacy Policy, Terms, and Contact that are created just using the block editor.

If we create a bricks template with a condition set to Post Type > Single > Pages then that template condition overrides all the other pages we built custom designs for.

I would expect a hierarchy that says a singular post-type template is overridden by a one-off custom template assigned to just one page. Or perhaps have a setting to override within Bricks or a setting on the page.

Elementor handles this when you attempt to edit a page in Elementor with an existing template applied to it. Elementor will ask you or tell you if you want to edit the post-type template or the individual page template.

I have a way I’ve worked around this issue but using categories on pages and using that as a template condition. I’d rather there was a native way to handle this template logic.

2 Likes

This is now solved with this filter: