SOLVED: Title attribute is added to all images by default

Hi,

Since 1.6, title attribute is added to all images:

Why such thing???

It is OK for alt text for obvious accessibility reasons, but not the title, which is not required and has other purposes like tooltips.

Now, all images display a tooltip on images hover, and most the time titles are wrong because clients don’t fill them correctly. This is ridiculous.
This is even worse when using absolute positionned images as backgrounds, since title has most of the time no meaning (decoration images).

Please revert this ASAP or better, add an option in settings to enable/disable this and add a title setting in image element for manual and dynamic data.

5 Likes

Also note that WP automatically generates image title from filename at upload (or if found in EXIF attributes), so basically all images have custom title unless you manually delete it.

1 Like

OMG I found the code in includes/frontend.php:

// Add 'title' attribute if set & different from file name (@since 1.6)
if ( $attachment->post_title && $attachment->post_name !== $attachment->post_title ) {
	$attr['title'] = $attachment->post_title;
}

So if people upload an image with a readable filename like This is an image.JPG, then filename is converted to this-is-an-image.jpg, and of course filename is different from title.

What is even worse is that this code is preceded by this:

// Check: Lazy load disabled
if ( isset( Database::$global_settings['disableLazyLoad'] ) ) {
	return $attr;
}

So it is actually never executed if lazyload is disabled!

But anyway, this should not be default behaviour at all, let us decide if we need to display tooltips on images, please!

As a conclusion, please hire someone who actually knows and USES Wordpress and TEST YOUR RELEASES, please.

And please really adopt a healthy release cycle with bugfixes only releases and bigger releases for new things. You should be able to relases fixes within a day for critical things like this.

1 Like

Wow you really know how to make friends don’t you.

Ha ha, you’re right, but they know me now, I’ve been teasing them for a long time now :wink:

wow this is very bad. hopefully we see an answer and fix soon.

Hi Yan,
Thanks for your report.

We’ll take another look at it.
I won’t respond to your tone - you know yourself that it is unnecessary and inappropriate.

Best regards,
timmse

3 Likes

so we can expect a fix? that’s the thing of my interest here. would really love to see such issue fixed and not investigated only.

My apologies @timmse, nothing personal.

It’s just that such issues make me crazy.

The Bricks team develops Bricks but doesn’t actually build websites, this is obvious, hence some poor ergonomic or technical decisions, sometimes totally against common sense or every standard or good practice.

Besides, such critical issues for customers (or other backward compatibility problems like the search form, for which I receive multiple daily crash reports) need instant investigations and quick patches, or at least some fast communication if it’s not possible.
Or else, mention on Bricks website that the theme is not suitable for real world production.

Maybe I’m too old school and today standards are not the same, but when I was a developper for a company, I had to publish patches the same day or the day after the bug report, period. And I do the same today for my clients if they report a problem.

Also, I’m very concerned by the fact Bricks won’t fix some issues like the blog prefix added to template URLs or simple ergonomics or accessibility things like a real contrast for selected element in structure panel or other things like that. It is very frustrating for and me it says nothing good about Bricks politics and future.

Finally, it is always the same problem… Companies want to include new shiny stuff at fast pace to compete and attract new customers (like grids, filters, WPML, etc.), but neglect other aspects like good software foundations, improving the existing, no-bug policy, or most basic service principles.

The worst is, today, the trend is to buy an unfinished product, imagine buying a half-working car!
But it’s another subject.

Hear me, Bricks is clearly among the best, but we users are expecting always more :wink:
Proof is this great forum’s activity!

That said, thanks for your patience and your awesome work here!
I’ll take a Bricks holiday to cool down.

4 Likes

they mention its not ready with their refund policy. they clearly state its (still) an beta.

You’re right, my bad…
Next time I’ll be more focused on the small lines :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Yan,
With Bricks 1.6.2, now available as a one-click update within your WordPress Dashboard, you’ll find a “show title” setting in the image element (toggled off by default).

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Best regards,
timmse

3 Likes

How to disable the title attribute in the Product gallery?

Hi Gala,
This is not possible since there is no setting for the Woo Product Gallery. As far as I can see, WooCommerce doesn’t provide a filter or anything like that, either. You are welcome to create a feature request on the Idea Board.