SOLVED: Custom Taxonomy Fields not showing in "Select Dynamic Data" (Pods)

Hello

im setting up CPTs and custom fields with PODs
ISSUE: I cannot map the taxonomy fields on the front end in the template builder for the taxonomies, both custom and default posts/pages templates.

• The CPTs and CPTs fields display fine
  • The PODs custom fields appear in the “edit taxonomy” sections as expected so i can create and add content as required
  • Just can’t display the fields in front end

ive been using the dynamic data to show all other data but when i create a bricks template and add element to display PODs custom taxonomy field, the dynamic data section does not populate it.

Is this a PODs issue or can Bricks help with this?

Bricks Version: 1.5beta
Browser: Chrome

Thanks In Advanced

I just experienced the same problem!

Did you get your issue figured out?

I am suspecting your image element in a single post / page template. If you want to use dynamic data for the taxonomy, gonna ensure your element currently in a term’s context or term object loop. (Like you are in a taxonomy archive, in a term Query Loop etc)

I answered a similar question in FB Group. It could be same situation as yours.

=======Below some points from the conversation=======
If I understand correctly, you are trying to output the custom field (Bio) value of the custom taxonomy (Guest Writer). It’s empty because Bricks trying to get the Bio field value from your post instead of taxonomy. (No matter which plugin were used to create the field, ACF, Metabox, JetEngine etc)

If you really need to output the Bio value from Guest Writer taxonomy, the only way is:

a) Write a php function to get current post terms, then loop through it, get post meta from the each term

b) Add a query loop of terms, taxonomy choose guest writer. then inside this query loop, add a basic text, choose Bio field from the lightning icon. You will be able to see values in front end now. But, you will also noticed all guest writers will be showing too. Hence, you still need to use bricks/terms/query_vars filter to only include current terms (custom code still needed).

===================

I’ve been trying to do something similar with Pods (text field rather than image) and I’m wondering if there just isn’t full compatibility for Pods with Bricks? I could get the Pods field working in the dynamic data doing this {echo:get_term_meta({term_id}, ‘my_term_meta_key’, true)}. Whereas I couldn’t get {term_meta:my_term_meta_key} dynamic data type to work with the Pods field.

But when I went and created a custom taxonomy field with ACF and the field showed up in the dymanic dropdown automatically. So not sure, but I’m thinking that there just isn’t complete integration between them for it work as nice?

Hello @Mundy ,

Pods data i did not figure out nor have i seen a solution to work.

My way around is to have Pods for CPT & Taxonomies than ACF for dynamic data.

I will be raising a suggestion that Bricks create its own ability to create CPT, Taxonomies & dynamic data without 3rd party plugins.

@itchycode My OP was for a taxonomy (categories) as categories /tags does not have a featured image ( not sure why wordpress doesnt have this by default )

I tested in both single & archive template pages and same result in both.
The only way to get the dynamic data to display was using ACF which now works nicely. But i would like to see Brick have their own CPT addons

Of course it is great if they can create everything inside of it, but I think the products out there that can handle this, like ACF, Pods, Metabox, Toolest, etc. are all pretty good. There just isn’t equal compatibility between them. I personally like Pods as I find the set-up pretty easy to use and has all the basics in it. CPT’s work with Bricks fine, it is just the taxonomies that seem to need some more polishing. Maybe now that Bricks 1.5 is out, the team will be able to take a little bit of time to look at items like this in the forum and see if they can improve it before the next big features for 1.6. At least for now we can pair Pods with ACF to make it work. Will be nice if taxonomies for Pods can work just as nice in the builder as it does for ACF.

2 Likes

@timmse Just wanted to report that in version 1.5.1 RC, I still do not see Pods custom fields for taxonomies in the dynamic data dropdown. (not sure if it was supposed to or not) Also, using {echo:get_term_meta({term_id}, ‘my_term_meta_key’, true) or {term_meta:my_term_meta_key} did work to pull the Pods fields from inside of a terms query.

1 Like

The fix will probably be included in the next version @Mundy

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Happy to hear it.

Hey guys,
We’ve fixed this bug in Bricks 1.5.1, which is soon available as a one-click update in your WordPress Dashboard.

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Best regards,
timmse

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m experiencing the same problem on Bricks 1.6.2.

I discovered a problem when trying to use a custom metabox taxonomy in a conditional statement using the bricks panel.

The condition was not being honored so I double checked by printing the value of the taxonomy in the frontend and nothing is displayed.

I can see the custom form values and the custom taxonomy values in the admin panel, I can edit them and they show fine in the backend but when using the {post_terms_application-status} in the dynamic field nothing shows.

My system information:
Bricks 1.6.2
metabox 5.6.15
matabox aio 1.17.0
WP 6.1.1

Thanks in advance

Hey Robert,
Thanks for reaching out!

Can you provide me with some more information on how to reproduce the issue?
Where are you using the custom taxonomies?

Best regards,
timmse

Hi mate im experiencing this issue in version 1.7? do you know of this?

Hey Steven,
I still need more information on how to reproduce the issue.
If you can give me simple steps on how to reproduce the problem, I’ll be happy to take a look.

Hi @timmse
I have similar issue which I cannot find the answer to.
To replicate the issue:

1. Create a Single Template for a post type “Movies”
  2. Add a div with query loop, with terms > “Actor” - Custom Taxonomy
  3. Add image in that div with dynamic data for the Actor’s Image.
  4. Also add text field in that div with dynamic data for Actor’s Name (Taxonomy title)

I can do this with creating another Post Type for Actor and using relation, but this is just an example, and I wanted to achieve the image and the name of the actor on the single template for movie with custom post type for my particular use case.

@ripal hey there, did you found any solution?