SOLVED: 404 Page Template not Showing despite conditions set

Hi Team,

I have set a 404 Error page w/ correct template conditions set to show on ‘Error Page’ however the page does not load when visiting a URL that doesn’t exist. In it’s place is the default “Whoops” page with a search bar.

Video: Video Screen Capture

A few people are reporting the same problem in this thread here: Redirection 404 not using error page template

1 Like

@timmse
Same here!

I made what I every time doing, but now its not working.

• I made Bricks Template
  • I Designed and add condition in editor.
  • But when I pud a wrong url, not using my error page.
  • Flushed the cache
  • Update Permalinks

Template section:

Condition:

1 Like

I also just noticed my site is starting to have this problem, since 1.9.1 for myself I believe.

1 Like

Hi guys,
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks so much for your reports!

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the issue. Would any of you be so kind as to send temporary login credentials and a link to this thread to help@bricksbuilder.io using the email address you used during the purchase?

Best regards,
timmse

1 Like

@timmse - this has been emailed over now with temporary login details.

If anyone else can share their site access for @timmse to replicate the issue please do so, as I installed ‘WP 301 Redirect’ to help with the issue post-404 not working which makes it hard to pin-point errors.

I just submitted credentials as well.

1 Like

Hi @Mundy ,

Thank you so much for the login details.
We can replicate the issue when your permalink structure is /%category%/%postname%/

I have recorded this in the bug tracker.

@stuismad ,

May I know what is your permalink structure?

Regards,
Jenn

@itchycode can confirm my perma structure is also /%category%/%postname%/

1 Like

Hi guys,
We’ve fixed this issue in Bricks 1.9.2, now available as a one-click update in your WordPress Dashboard.

Changelog: Changelog – Bricks

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Best regards,
timmse

2 Likes

Can confirm, working again as intended. Thanks once again for the amazing support from the team.

2 Likes

Hi Timmse,

This is not a complete fix (at least it is not working in Bricks 1.9.3). The code snippet below that uses

add_action( 'template_redirect', ...

will not use the Bricks 404 template but just shows the default one with the “Whoops, that page is gone” message.

This issue has been discussed in most of the other topics about 404 issues.

// For example: https://domain.com/category/uncategorized/
// If not using Category Taxonomy deleting of Uncategorized Category not possible
function ess_disable_uncategorized_category_archives() {

// if we are on Uncategorized category archive page
    if (is_category('uncategorized')) {
        global $wp_query;
        $wp_query->set_404();
        status_header(404);
    }

}

// Disable access
add_action( 'template_redirect', 'ess_disable_uncategorized_category_archives' );
1 Like

I also have a code snippet similar to the above that 404’s home pages that the URL may contain unneeded pagination like:

mydomain.com/page/2/

The 404 status code is returned but neither the default 404 page or my custom 404 template is returned. Instead the homepage is returned (with a 404 status code) and anything that is queried is empty.

Hi @Tom,

We will record this in the bug tracker.
Please follow this thread for any updates WIP: Can't see the 404 template

Regards,
Jenn

1 Like