Select template from page

Correct me if I’m wrong, but currently the only way to assign a template to a page is through the template’s conditions.

These can lead to a lot of extra clicks when adding new pages.

Ex: you’ve built a simple page template, and want to add a new Privacy Policy to your site. Assuming you use a different template for your core pages, the workflow looks like this:

• Create new privacy policy page
  • Hit publish
  • Navigate away from page to Bricks Templates
  • Open the simple page template with Bricks
  • Open the conditions, and select your Privacy Policy page

It’d be great if you could select a template from the page itself. That workflow looks like:

• Create new policy page and select simple page template
  • Hit publish

This is something that Oxygen does.

3 Likes

You can always create multiple Privacy Policy templates, save them and then place them (via the template element) into your main PP page… how about that?

Why not create a template for all pages? Then you don’t have to add each one of them.

For now I would just use a taxonomy/tag and use that as a way to select this atm

This is the first thing I thought as well, but then I remembered that you don’t have taxonomies/tags available for pages by default.

Yeah, but still… why not do this as template for all pages? Do you have any reason why this wouldn’t work for you? Seems so much straightforward and simple.

@Matiasko

It doesn’t work well in many cases.

In general, you want a template for your core pages that’s completely blank. That way you have freedom to design each page.

For privacy policy and other basic pages though, you want a simple template with the page title and container. That way you can simply enter your content in Gutenberg.

1 Like

Not a problem with this setup (needs 1.5 beta and above):

1 Like

Ah. I still think easier template selection would be helpful, but this definitely helps for the use case I mentioned. Thanks!

1 Like