Personal Blog / Photo Hosting for Motorsports + Tips for Beginners / What I Wish I knew

It took my 2 years but I finally did it. I learned over that time working on something like this is extremely momentum based, so if there is anyone else new to web development here are my tips.

Mobile PageSpeed Results. I used WP Rocket and EWWW imge optimizer, but other than that bricks was great out of the box.

1. If you get stuck because Bricks doesn’t offer some functionality yet, move on. Write a feature request and move on to something else. If it’s essential to the functionality of your website look into other plugins but if it’s going to kill the momentum of working on it for a month work on something else. I wish I got my website out a year sooner even if it didn’t have it exactly right rather than it taking this long.

2. If it walks like a bug and looks like a bug, it might be a bug. I found several bugs in my time using bricks, one of them on 1.8.3. Bricks is a great tool, but it still has bugs so don’t be afraid to point them out. I notice the Bricks employees spend more time looking at the bug posts so in order to save their time, search your issue and try and make sure it’s not a known bug they are working on.

3. Ask forum questions. You might be trying to do it the hard way. Bricks has a great staff and user base that can point you in the right direction. Special thanks to @timmse he helped me out so much through this process.

4. Pay for a site optimizing plugin. I tried optimization on my own for two weeks, but it just drove me crazy and I don’t have the chops to do it. I chose WP Rocket but I know there are other solid choices.

5. Organize everything that needs to be done. This will help keep you sane in the late night sessions where you are focused but don’t know what to do next.

2 Likes

Looks too good :+1:

The map you have used on the site, is it interactive geo map or bricks native?

I actually not gine through all yhe bricks modules. So the question pop up.

Congrats to your project! It is fun to discover possibilities with Bricks, right?

For le personally a sticky header comes in very handy in sense of usability. Your posts are very long and then you avoid to have to scroll too much…

Sorry for the delay, took a break from it after it was done. I don’t know what an interactive geo map is so I am going to assume bricks native

That’s a good suggestion, I’ll look into it