Performance with Caching plugins - best practices with regards to External CSS or Inline CSS methods

Just curious… is there a best practice with regards to whether to use Bricks and the External CSS method or instead using the default Inline CSS method when using a Caching plugin like WP Rocket or FlyingPress?

Is one method preferred over the others when it comes to reliability of caching plugins and the way they process the data? I know out of the box it seems that the External CSS is more performant (loads less data anyways), but I’m a bit cautious in using that with Caching plugins as I’d be worried it may not load everything it should / can create new issues with them.

Am I worrying over nothing though? Anybody with experience who can speak to what their experience or the best practice/recommendation is there?

(PS - not looking for “you don’t need caching plugins with Bricks” comments, haha - I totally know Bricks is fast and low-bloat, but it’s important to remember that caching isn’t only required for page speed but for various other reasons too such as improved server-side performance/load, etc.)

2 Likes

Hi @d19dotca,
I use litespeed cache with bricks external css. I have disabled all css and javascript performance options in litespeed cache plugin. My experience shows if http2 is enabled and gzip or brotli is also enabled to compress css and javascript, there is no need for activating css and javascript performance options in cache plugins.

1 Like

I would use the external option and then preload the the ccs files / per page . like this you a) you reduce unused css and b) avoid render blocking.
Like Sharif i use Litespeed with only caching enabled, every thing else is off.

1 Like