Page redirects from the "Content Control" plugin are not prevented when the builder is started

Bricks Version: 1.3.7 Beta

I installed the “Content Control” plugin for access control to show users who are not logged in the login page instead of the dashboard and vice versa.

Unfortunately, if I now want to edit the login page in Bricks Builder, I can’t do this because when I load the login page in Bricks Builder, I am also taken out of Bricks Builder and into the dashboard.

Can you prevent this redirection from the plugin or maybe introduce your own conditions with redirects so that you can do without another plugin for this purpose in the future?

Kind regards

Matze202

Hi Matze,

unfortunately, I don’t know anything about the plugin, but is it not possible to define exceptions? Or can you temporarily choose another rule that allows you to edit the page and then switch back to the redirect?

As far as I can see Bricks has nothing to do with the redirect, it’s the plugin. So I honestly don’t see a bug here either. Or I understand something wrong - also possible.

Maybe @alanj can help out?

Best regards,
timmse

Sorry, maybe I should have posted that under suggestions for improvement or something similar.

Unfortunately I didn’t find anything in the plugin where I can exclude the URL attachment “/?bricks=run”.

Instead, I hoped that Bricks would be able to suppress the redirects or, like with the form (only further developed), offer them related to the page or content in the future and thus such redirects can be suppressed when the builder is loaded.

However, if you could edit this content externally as a section template, which can then also be adopted by the integrated pages. With Oxygen it is implemented in such a way that the templates are either only integrated or copied as if they were pure. This means that you can edit the template regardless of location and these are always adopted, for example for a login page with later changes, or if you decide to use the copied version, you can make adjustments to each page as it is now, but in some cases will have to be made several times.

Not sure I can add anything I’m afraid. I have no knowledge of that plugin.
I do use other membership plugins that provide a login page. Usually this is via a shortcode. So you would have to style/edit the template that the plugin provides. You can’t do it via bricks. Although maybe you could embed the shortcode in a bricks page, but not sure what you’d gain.

Alan

Hey @Matze202,

Have you tried asking here: [Content Control - User Access Restriction Plugin] Support | WordPress.org ? There must be a solution or other users who have a similar problem.

By the way: you can insert the section template with the template element instead of inserting it directly. So you can edit it independently from the page.

@alanj Thanks anyway! Somehow I associate you with such things and could have been :slight_smile:

Now I came across the shortcodes that the Bricks Builder has in it.

Nevertheless, it would be good if such redirects could be switched off in the builder.

Maybe the developers of the other plugin will pick this up, because I don’t like having to always remove and insert these redirects for changes to a live page.

Hmmm, I have just installed the Content Restriction plugin to test.

Apart from it being a bit annoying to configure, as you have to add each page you want to restrict access to to a “restriction”, I have no problem with editing the login page using bricks. It simply gives me a page with a shortcode element on it. So rather limited in what you can do, but it does work.
I can’t see anything that would make it redirect back to the dashboard when using bricks.
Maybe it depends what you use for your user control? Do you use a plugin or just basic wordpress?

Cheers
Alan

Hi @alanj ,

I built the login form with the Bricks Builder form element, which already works very well.

If I now call up the login page, where the login template has now been inserted via shortcode, when I open the Bricks Builder for the login page, the other plugin leads directly to the dashboard. This means that it is no longer possible to edit the login page unless you remove the forwarding every time you want to change something.

By the way, with the restrictions you don’t have to restrict each individual page, but you can also restrict all including the underlying pages.

Example:

• Dashboard
    • Edit profile
    • list own contributions
    • write your own posts
    • Edit your own posts
      etc.

Kind regards

Matze202

Ok. I created a login page using the Bricks form. All good except how do you make a hidden password field?
Anyway I applied some restrictions and if I try and view those pages when not logged in then I am redirected to the new login page, as intended. If I login then I can view the pages ok.
So all working as expected.
I can still edit the login page using bricks.

So I’m afraid I can’t reproduce the issue. Only difference I can think of is you seem to use a template, but I don’t see any advantage in that so just use a plain page for the login.

Cheers
Alan

Form-Tab > Action: Userlogin
Form-Tab > Userlogin: Password > {Passwordfield}

In Bricks Builder, the password input is still displayed in plain text, but in the frontend, the dots appear for each character.

I’m temporarily satisfied with how it works, but it would be great if it could be edited in a different way.

For this I will (I think) contact the other developers tomorrow and hope that they will take it soon in the next update, which I can also use to restrict the URL and thus prevent forwarding.

Kind regards

Matze202

@timmse and @alanj

But thank you for your support.

Yes I set those values … but my password field displays plain text on the front end, which is not good.
Tried on 1.3.7beta and 1.3.6 both the same.
Odd.

@alanj Then it would be best to open another topic here with pictures or video about it, or has it been revised in a newer Beta? @timmse ?

Yes indeed, sorry to go off on a tangent.
I’ll do some more playing as I’m sure it must be something I am not doing. Not top priority though as I don’t think I’ll ever have a need for my own login form when all the membership plugins I use already provide that.
Cheers
Alan