NO BUG: Mobile-first breakpoint test, never goes completely back to desktop-first after reset without some bugs

Continuing the discussion from https://forum.bricksbuilder.io/t/no-bug-duplicate-carousel-element-seems-to-be-mobile-first-not-inheriting-desktop-settings/12180/4:

This seems like a rather large limitation that the documentation should make clearer. To me at least, the documentation is written in a way that implies it’s possible to switch back and forth but will naturally just need lots of tweaks to the design anytime it’s changed (hence why it’s be best to determine it before starting the project). If one is not able to switch between them at all because of severe limitations in the functionality like the one I reported, then IMO this should be made much more obvious to users.

Thankfully I have a backup from before the test so I can restore to that, although I had proceeded on a number of improvements since then which I’ll lose the work of which is unfortunate. But lesson learned. I guess that’s why custom breakpoints are still marked “experimental” :sweat_smile:. It had been experimental for so long now I assumed it was mature enough but I guess that’s not the case yet.

Hopefully this issue will be fixed in a future release. Ideally users would be able to switch between mobile-first and desktop-first without needing to completely restore from a backup. :wink:

Hi Dustin,
From our point of view, no developer changes the approach (desktop/mobile first) halfway. You either use one or the other. And you decide that at the beginning of your project, not in the middle.

Nevertheless, it remains that this is not a bug.

Please name what you think we should add to the Academy and I will add to the article immediately if it adds value.

Best regards,
timmse

Remember that some users are in early phases of a staging site and may want to test out a mobile-first approach. Not everyone designs everything in Figma early on and in some cases design as they go. Whether that’s best practices or not is another matter, the fact is it happens with many freelancers :wink:

There’s two things here:

1. If this behaviour is caused by what you suggest it is, then I think while this is likely rare, any typical user would consider this a defect/bug. There is a “reset” button in the custom breakpoints dialogue box, a user would understandably expect that the reset button puts things back to how they were configured. This means that any “mobile-first” logic would go back to “desktop-first” logic. If the reset button doesn’t actually remove mobile-first specific settings, then it seems like a gap/bug in the functionality of the custom breakpoints. For the Academy, I suggest this either go under “known issues” or on the page you linked to at least make it clearer that it will ruin a site in a way that is not reversible - that’s a very large impacting behaviour if it’s caused by what you said and should be better emphasized in my opinion.

2. But as I later determined and posted in a newer post, you’ll find that this actually appears to be a defect specific to 1.8-beta and not related to what you originally described as the root cause (mobile-first breakpoints) since I can reproduce this behaviour without even touching the breakpoints on a fresh site and simply installing a fresh 1.8-beta release.

Yep, and the Academy article states:

I will try to highlight the part more and add to it if necessary.

Yes please. Though I think there’s a difference again between what you’re saying / the post is saying and what I was experiencing (hence my separate post on it which you’ve now confirmed is indeed a bug), and that’s important to remember. I think this post may be moot now that what I was describing was indeed confirmed as a bug finally rather than dismissed as related to a mobile-first test.

For what it’s worth too, the highlighted text says it doesn’t reset styles on elements which makes total sense. In my case though I was describing an issue that was not with any elements but a global style which is very different from a user perspective.

I think as long as the limitations of the mobile-first breakpoints are better highlighted (perhaps under “known issues” since there are some large limitations), that’s fine at that point. :slight_smile: But like I said, it may be sort of moot now that what I reported earlier is finally recognized as a real bug.