Membership plugins - any experience?

I tried Simple Membership Plugin, and (like many of the other content restriction / membership plugins I’ve tried) it restricts content in my header and footer (in other words, anywhere there’s a text element). It’s really frustrating, and as it seems to be a problem with multiple membership plugins, it’s something to do with the way Bricks handles things. Have you seen this issue with your site?

Never seen that behaviour with any that I’ve tried.
How are you restricting content? Or why would you add any content restriction to the header/footer ( Other than say menu items ).

With all the plugins I’ve tried I just add the restrictions to the posts themselves. That covers 90% of stuff. Then a few pages also get restrictions if needed.

The header and footer templates I leave alone as they are part of the public site.

Alan

Hi Alan; thanks for the reply. To reiterate my original comment: the plugin is restricting content in the header – anywhere on the page that there’s a text element. I am not adding content restriction to the header or footer. It’s just happening to text elements IN the header and footer.

I’m restricting content at the category level. Bricks templates (which I’m using for my header and footer) are very much not restricted / protected. As a test, I removed all category protection and only restricted a single page. You can see in the screenshot that the membership login prompt replaces the two text areas in the header template and the one text area in the footer as well as the content of the page itself.

It does this whether the text element is Rich Text or BasicText.

Ideas are welcome…!

Have you checked that you aren’t restricting Header and Footer?

Membership Levels - Post and Page protection (tab) - Custom Posts
make sure Header and Footer are unticked.

Hmmm Just enabled restriction on Header and added some text to it … it still isn’t protected. Odd.

Yes. For testing purposes I only have one custom post restricted. None of my Bricks templates are protected.

I tried turning off the page cache; no difference.

Solved it. I have no idea why, but completely deleting the text elements in the header and recreating them fixed it. Apparently / maybe those elements had leftover qualities from a previous version of Bricks? (I am running the latest stable version, but the site was originally built almost a year ago.)

I would LIKE to know why, though, so this, or similar weirdness, doesn’t happen again with a future Bricks update.

Thanks for your help / participation, @alanj – appreciate it.

NP glad yours works.
Just been playing on my test site and can’t say I find it a very reliable plugin. At least it seems to restrict plain text but not Titles, images or the entire post, as I would have expected.
Tried to modify the header so that also hides plain text … but can’t do it.

Maybe this is why its just on my test site and not a membership plugin I actually use. ( Mostly PaidMembership Pro ).

1 Like

Now that I know the issue was with Bricks and not a particular (all!) membership plugins, I’m going to go back to my original choice, the Patreon Pro plugin – from the start, I was simply trying to give my Patreon patrons access to particular content. Although I confess I am considering ditching Patreon and rolling my own (with plugins). At this point, I don’t have enough patrons to justify the high annual expense of most of the good membership plugins.

Hi mwsmedia,

I have exactly the same problem as yours, the Simple Membership plugin in headers and footers blocks all Rich Text elements:

Unfortunately removing and adding these elements did not help.
What else can I do?
I know you don’t use this plugin anymore, but maybe you have some ideas?

best regards
Jacek

I am facing this same issue. Where you able to solve it? Which plugin did you finally settle on?

Simple Membership, as mentioned earlier. Greetings

1 Like

To the folks who’ve recently added to the thread asking how I solved this, see my October 18 post higher in the thread. Sorry if that’s not working for you, but I only know what solved it for me…!

should check ARMember plugin for membership functionalities like content restriction, dripping content etc… it works fine with bricks builder too. bricks support.