Let clients work with Bricks (Best Practise)

Hello Forum, this is my first Post. I am currently building a site for a client who intends to change content and eventually create a new page or change the layout. I wonder if anyone here has experience how clients with no coding knowledge cope and how it´s best acomplished?

It would be superhelpful – i did search but i guess this is not a mainstream question :slight_smile:

Cheers, Bob

Looking forward to this new journey!

1 Like

Why not just point them at Try Bricks and let them have a play?
https://try.bricksbuilder.io/

Haha :slight_smile: I guess that not an option in that case. I plan to do a workshop where I explain the most parts. I was more curious about what is advisable to set up to make editing for content providers or people in an company as easy as possible, with some freedom to do stuff but not the possibilities to destroy or uglify the page …

Ah ok.

Well you can use a front end form to create new posts, or edit existing posts. That lets you control the style but leaves the end user the ability to add content.

Not sure what works with Bricks as not reached that stage just yet. But in Elementor I used ACF Front End forms with ACF. If you have a look at WPTuts Paul has some good tutorials on a user dashboard.

Sorry no real experience with this on bricks just yet …

Hi @mgg,

this sounds like a perfect use case for the Builder Access Feature.

Would be great if you just try this out and let me know if you notice any things that should be additionally limited.

Bricks has recently added a lot of new features that may not yet be limited by Builder Access.

Best regards,
timmse

Sounds good, but how would you force the clients to only use Bricks? As I presume you can only limit what they can do within Bricks but not if they decided to use Guttenberg for instance?

I don’t really think Bricks is ready for client hand-off just yet (hopefully very soon!). There are a few things clients can do “on accident” that will be cause for many a headache. To quote Rick Cook:

“Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.”

Oxygen and a few other pagebuilders allow for custom fields and dynamic data that the client can just type whatever they need and the pagebuilder will pull that information into the relevant areas. This can drastically reduce the number of moving parts the client can touch.

I am pretty sure (although have NOT tried this myself) this can be done in Bricks as well using either ACF+CPTUI, Metabox, Pods, etc. and Gutenberg (edit as normal, not in Bricks) and scroll to the bottom where the custom fields are.

The Builder Access is the right path forward although, like Tim said, there are a few things not yet limited, so if you trust your client have at it.

The goal of Builder Access is to restrict certain functionality that might “break” the basic build. However, bricks is still just the theme, the framework that displays content - no matter what source.

Basically, I see it as long as the client wants to fill their site with content themselves, write posts, etc., they are responsible for that. However, you are just as responsible for taking the customer by the hand at the beginning and explaining in as much detail as possible (with the help of screen recordings or in writing) what is possible where and how what problems there might be and what he should avoid as much as possible.

The worst thing that can happen with limited access is that the customer makes sure that the page is not semantically correct (wrong order of headings), and ugly (wrong colors, fonts, etc).

And this can be prevented in advance. And then if something does go wrong, you probably get paid to fix it :wink:

2 Likes

Hi,

Is it normal that a user can still delete or add classes ?
I would like to only edit texts and images only.

Is it normal or a bug ? I am in 1.5beta

this is your question at this stage…

PS: I either give my clients Admin access and train them or do not let them touch the webiste and have them ask me for all the updates…

2 Likes

Where are we at with this sorry? I can see clients can see classes still - edit / delete / unlock them and delete elements and sections?

So currently I am not comfortable letting them anywhere near any of that.