How to reduce the no. of posts per page in query options for Mobile View?

I know this falls more into the category of a feature request but is there a work around for this. On desktop, I want to show 8 posts but on mobile I only want 4. Can someone please guide me how can I tackle this?

1 Like

Create a loop for desktop and another loop for mobile. And use css display none on the various breapoints.

No brainer but not so neat that way. I was thinking more like maybe a snippet that could change the value on the basis of the breakpoint.

3 Likes

Yup definitely agree that this should not be the way to go about it. Hoping for this nice little feature in the future :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

although I personally would just fetch the larger number of posts and hide some of them if needed on smaller screens you could use Bricks’ bricks/posts/query_vars hook in combination with WordPress’ wp_is_mobile function.

In my example I set the query loop to fetch 3 posts per page by default:

Using the hook I set the loop to only fetch 2 posts per page on mobile devices:

add_filter( 'bricks/posts/query_vars', function( $query_vars, $settings, $element_id ) {
    if ( $element_id === 'rlvhyk' && wp_is_mobile() ) {
        $query_vars['posts_per_page'] = 2;
    }

return $query_vars;
}, 10, 3 );

Frontend (Desktop):

Frontend (Mobile):

Let me know if that helps.

Best,

André

4 Likes

It is quite amazing, how powerful this filter / hook is.

Cheers

Patric

can you please tell me how to implement this hook?

Hey Pawan,

the code I posted in my previous reply is all it takes. You can add the code to your functions.php (if using a child theme) or to a code snippet plugin of your choice.

Make sure to change the $element_id to the element id you’re using the query loop on.

Best,

André

1 Like