How to increase lousy performance

I’ve just installed my website on the server and I’m pretty disappointed about the performance - ~43 on mobile and ~56 on desktop - what am I missing - how can I improve things - I know, it is a picture loaded site but still there has to be a way.
Thank you in advance for your input.
Site can be found here: https://mmjaeger.com

Hey Marco,

you should definitely start with optimizing the images. This definitely has the biggest impact on the performance of the site currently:

Best,

André

1 Like

Thanks for replying - any recommendation how to tackle this - I have no idea where to start.

you want to resize your images as well as convert and serve them as webp where possible. Check out shortpixel, for starters (but there are other options). (also sorry about your mom’s passing :broken_heart:)

thank you for the condolences - very much appreciated
the picture are mostly resized to the best of my knowledge unless I start serving different sizes at different breakpoints but my thumbnail sizes should pretty much cover the whole range

Hey Marco,

you should have a look at all the available image optimization plugins which automize the optimization process. Usually they automatically scale the images, compress them and deliver them in an optimized size and format.

Some of the plugins also provide the option to use a CDN which can also have a positive impact on your site’s performance but might come with some costs.

I would probably try those plugins on a staging environment so you can play around with all or some of them and see which one provides the best results for you. Usually it’s about finding a good balance between size and quality.

Best,

André

2 Likes

Hi

I installed the Performance Lab plugin from the Wordpress makers themselves and I have never looked back ever since.

It’s free and does the job perfectly.

Cheers

Patric