[HOW TO] Fix your site after the 1.3.7 update

Hello everyone,

The introduction of the min and max settings has caused problems for some users and has broken one or the other page.

To not leave you in the rain I will show you in the next few days with real examples where exactly the problems are (can be) and how to fix them.

2 Likes

01: Fixed heights

Before Bricks 1.3.7, the only settings were width and height. But since fixed widths and heights can be problematic in responsive designs, we have automatically converted these widths and heights for you. In addition, height became min-height, ensuring that your containers do not overflow on small viewports.

By introducing min- and max-heights, we had to change this fundamentally. Your heights are now indeed fixed rather than a min-height / responsive. They do not adapt to the content. A 400px high container might work wonderfully on the desktop because you have much more space in width. However, as soon as the viewport gets significantly smaller, the content breaks, which quickly causes the still 400px high container to overflow.

The solution for this problem is straightforward: if you need a height, use min-height instead of height. This ensures that your container has a minimum height but can grow if necessary.

Check out this video where I fixed a site where fixed heights caused 98% of all problems: https://vimeo.com/673371353/11c658f1e1

3 Likes

I guess it would make perfect sense to also fix the bricks community templates.

1 Like

Seems like it would have been best for Bricks to have converted older widths and heights automatically to min-height / min-width since it sounds like that’s what Bricks was doing behind the scenes previously if I understand it correctly. That likely would have avoided all of the broken sites and complaints from users. Thankfully I have only just started my first ‘real’ site with Bricks, so I wasn’t impacted by this change personally however that seems like the lesson I’d takeaway from this if I worked for Bricks to avoid similar issues in the future. Just my two cents though. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah I was surprised they didn’t do that.

Looks like these are fixed heights/widths too , ut they should be min (for height) and max (for wide)