How? Targeting (:active) Menu Element in Bricks 1.8+

With the release of the new menu nav element, I’ve been trying to target the active element - it seems the builder doesn’t use the standard pseudo selector :active, nor does it add any classes to the active element, yet it is still able to target the active element by adding an active border.

How can I also target that same element to add my own custom CSS to the active menu element? Am I missing something?

1 Like

Following. I need to know the same Sarge. I’m made a separate post about it already as it’s fairly essential ability within a menu system. Agreed.

1 Like

I’m probably being dense, but doesn’t it just place aria-current=“page” attribute on the active link? So you can target that?

I’ve posted a suggestion to the ideas board but doesn’t look like it’s been approved yet. If it does will post here to get votes.

As I understand it is unfortunately far from best practice to style based on an accessibility tag.

I just posted a question here about this, then I found this post.

Making a :focus psuedoclass works, but not a :active psuedoclass.

Edit: I guess I misunderstand how :active works. It works when I click and hold. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit Again:

Put this in the last custom javascript block (before closing body tag):

<script>
  document.querySelectorAll('a[href="'+document.URL+'"]').forEach(link => link.className += ' current-page');
</script>

Then, for example, this turns the link text to a different style when you are on the link’s page.

.current-page {
    color: red;
    font-weight: 700;
}
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this solution, hopefully we get a built-in feature at some point too!

1 Like

The fact that is needed (the javascript patch for this issue) tells me that Bricks is not ready for use on production sites.

I am new/just learning it and there’s a lot I like about it but I was hoping I could rebuild my company’s site with it and actually use it in the wild.

Bricks is extremely ready for production sites.

Rest assured, you can safely use it in the wild just as I and hundreds of others have successfully done.

It only needs the JS if you want to target ACTIVE for some alternative purpose. You can set background color, text color and outline for active with native Bricks.

I guess then I am not seeing how in native bricks to style the background color of the nav menu item with aria-current=“page” since there is no :active pseudo class added when the page is active. Thats what brought me to this thread.

You don’t. You style it in the bricks builder like you style any other link. You can target by aria for other purposes if you have them, as said elsewhere this isn’t the best way, just a possible way.

The OPs question is my question as well: “How can I also target that same element to add my own custom CSS to the active menu element? Am I missing something?”

In this thread, this has so far gone unanswered, and others have echoed the same question. The workaround to style the accessibility tag was offered and also rejected as not best practice. Then some javascript was offered to add an active class, followed by “hope” that we’ll get a built in solution “at some point”. Your most recent response was to say 'you style the active state of the nav item like any other state". I know how to style the :active pseudo class with or without Bricks making it convenient for me. The problem is that it doesnt work. When visiting the active page, the nav link should reflect the :active styles but it does not.

As someone else noted, “Making a :focus psuedoclass works, but not a :active psuedoclass.”

You replied with “You can set background color, text color and outline for active with native Bricks.” - that is what I am trying to do: set the text color and background gradient for the main nav active page just like I did for the hover state, which works perfectly. “Am I missing something?”

1 Like

To clear this up, as I am seeing the misunderstanding. The parts you’re missing is…

• :active doesn’t do what you think it does. It doesn’t mean the link to the current page. :active - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN
  • They’re saying that Bricks’ already has style controls for the current page link, in the nav nestable settings under ‘top level item > active’. (see image below for settings, it’s not the psuedo class dropdown)
  • it’s perfectly fine to use attributes other than classes for styling, that’s actually how Bricks’ are targeting them themselves. It’s not against best practises at all.

In short, :active is the wrong way to target (nothing Bricks related, it’s just not what that does).
[aria-current=“page”] is the correct way to target (if you need to add styles outside of the settings) as that’s the attribute that is added to the menu item that links to the current page (unless you want to add your own class as was shown by adding the JS, but this step is unneccessary).

4 Likes

Thanks, I don’t think this is common knowledge.

Appreciate the clarification - I thought I was going mad for a while as I couldn’t see that there was a problem…

Thank you @wplit this does clear it up for me as well. Is this covered anywhere in documentation? I’ve been searching the docs and watching seemingly hours of youtube videos (looking for needle in haystack) and have yet to see this addressed.

This is perhaps a nit but, strange to me that the styles for the Active state of the Nestable Nav are not under the Style tab but under the Content tab of the element. I certainly wasn’t looking for them there.

This also makes me wonder if it would be beneficial to be able to save a gradient to a color palette as one selectable option - e.g. in the ‘background color’ setting we can select a solid color only. If the color palette could store gradients as well perhaps that would simplify some things? Off topic for sure.

If you want to target the parent menu item if the current page link is a sub-menu link, do this:

<script>
  document.querySelectorAll('a[href="'+document.URL+'"]').forEach(link => link.className += ' current-page');
  let foo = document.querySelector('.current-page');
  if(foo.parentNode.className === 'menu-item' && foo.parentNode.parentNode.previousElementSibling !== null ) {
    foo.parentNode.parentNode.previousElementSibling.className += ' current-page';
  }  
</script>
.current-page {
    color: red;
    font-weight: 700;
}

I just learned how to do the parent item targeting. I am learning javascript. :slightly_smiling_face: