For Each Release, Create a Short and Pinned Post in Bricks Facebook Community

Please keep the community informed. Sometimes I read on the forum, from either Thomas or Timmse, that version 1.5.x will be released today. However, that is just communications to one person! It would be nice if the entire Bricks Community could have that information. Please pin a post for the Bricks Facebook Community. It can be simply the version and a link to the change log. Then we will all see it. @timmse, is that something you can do?

No many of us don’t use facebook.
Thomas does post new version announcements here once they are ready. If you see coming soon mentions from individual topics its usually because they have had early access for their specific problem.
Can’t say I’ve missed a version yet.

At the moment, there are 7,654 members of the Bricks Facebook Community. Seems like a large enough number to be worthy of a regular announcement. Sounds like the current Bricks releases with no announcement works for you. It does not work for me, and I have been reading in the Bricks Facebook Community that it does not work for others. Not everyone’s workflow monitors Wordpress daily.

The last release announced in this forum was 1.5. There have been 6? minor releases without announcements on the forum.

“ If you see coming soon mentions from individual topics its usually because they have had early access for their specific problem.” - actually I have seen Timmse say “this version will be released today”. Yes, I have also seen requests to individuals to early download and verify that a problem was fixed.

Not needed.

A user will post when a new minor version is released shortly after it’s made available. You can then view the changelog to see the changes.

Why would they waste time makeing a duplicate post of the changelog in FB and the forum. There is usually an update post made by a user before the changelog is even updated.

All major point updates have come with a post so far.

Perhaps not needed by you. However, needed by myself and lots of others. It is unfortunate when someone extrapolates what works for them as the only approach.

What I, and others, are asking for is a pinned post with a link to the change log when an update is released. Fairly common practice for other Wordpress products (Oxygen as one of many examples).

The changelog is on the website. A user usually posts that an update is out before the changelog is updated so a pinned post is redundant.

I would rather the devs spend their time developing bricks than duplicating what they have already written on the website by pinning a post in a Facebook group.

If you valued the devs time you would think the same and bookmark the changelog and/or just wait for the update to show in Wordpress. There is no rush to update and updating within the first hour or a day later will make no difference. If you want to be updating first then you will be actively keeping an eye on the FB group, forum and changelog

My perspective, needs, and situation are different than yours. One of the things I value about the Bricks philosophy is that all perspectives are valued and listened to. Repeatedly bashing an idea because it is different than yours creates a negative atmosphere, in conflict with the atmosphere Bricks is trying to create. Churning out code is not the only deliverable of a successful business.

While I understand the desire to have multiple points of reference it just doesn’t make sense logistically to me. Should they also post on Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pintrest, etc? How much is too much?

I suppose that answer will come best from Thomas but it’s already posted on the website changelog plus you’ll see the update available in your Wordpress install. I feel like that should probably be enough.

Bricks team created an official Facebook Community on Facebook. I do not think Bricks team created any communication strategies using those other tools you list. Why list tools which are not shown as a component of the Bricks Team communication strategy?

I am guessing you are a full time or frequent web dev. Consequently, looking in Wordpress for updates is part of your workflow. It is not part of mine. There are others on Facebook which express the same request I have.

Again, there are multiple user types of Bricks, and multiple perspectives. If a perspective does not match yours, that does not make it invalid, nor make the situation a win-lose scenario.

Frankly, I am astonished at the accelerated increase in the myopic and negative comments over the last 6 months or so. Rather than dialogs which the Bricks Team can use to inform decisions, we have joust events.

lol you’re the one turning this into a joust by responding to everybody who disagrees with you. Anyways, I’ve said everything I need to. So we’ll see what the bricks team has to say I guess. :man_shrugging:

Facebook is not official support. This forum is.

Funny that you don’t respond for 2 weeks and then conveniently on the day a new version is released. No activity for the same period.

I assume you have seen a post on FB by another member mentioning the new update and that nudged you to come visit the forum and see if there was a post.

New version released, you have found out by FB. Problem solved it seems.

Now go check the official changelog for all new changes, check the bug section to see if there are any new bugs brought in with this release and make the decision to update your site’s or not. If not wait until next week’s release.

The forum and Facebook serve 2 different purposes. The forum is for official support. Facebook was set up by the Bricks team for community discussion “Welcome to the official Bricks Theme Community :)”.

“Funny that you don’t respond for 2 weeks and then conveniently on the day a new version is released. No activity for the same period.” What is the point of this statement?

False: “I assume you have seen a post on FB by another member mentioning the new update and that nudged you to come visit the forum and see if there was a post.”

What an ugly set of comments to someone’s suggestion.

It’s already been mentioned, major updates will be posted, smaller updates won’t be. Seems fine to us :ok_hand:

Hello everyone :wave:

The only proper solution is to email every Bricks customer about every release as most actual users are not even on Facebook.

Since we now release weekly to bi-weekly and the vast majority of releases don’t warrant an email to all users, we don’t do it.

And I have yet to receive an email from a customer that is asking to be notified via email about a release.

As mentioned on Facebook we will announce what we consider note-worthy releases. Like the upcoming 1.6.

Details about every update are available publicly on the changelog (Changelog – Bricks) the minute a new one-click update goes live.

Update notifications are also visible on everyone’s WordPress dashboard.

Plus it never takes longer than 30min until someone posts a new update on Facebook anyway.

With this statement, I will close this post, as everything has been said.

… and get back to actual development :v: