Customize the output of dynamic tags

We really need a possibility to customize the output of dynamic tags more.

Example one:
I use: " Sprache: {post_terms_pa_sprache}" for displaying the languages a product is available in (Woocommerce). This leads that the languages are links automatically, but I need to deactivate these links, so only the name is printed.

Second example:
It also holds true for ACF fields. I was trying to add a custom attribute, which should return an ACF field value.
Name => artist || Value => {acf_ausstellung_to_artist}
The idea is to be able to use it for filtering e.g. via Isotope.
The issue now is that I cannot control the output whatsoever. I need that only the name of the field is rendered in the attribute,

But on the frontend it outputs the following:
“artist=“Rudi Frey””

We really need a possibility to customize that output.
E.g. be able to type {acf_ausstellung_to_artist:name} => which only outputs the name etc.

You can already do that in bricks:

See under advanced!

Thanks for your answer.
That would mean that I need to write a custom function for every field I want to output. Or do I miss something there?
It would be helpful to make the dynamic data filters work with acf fields as well and add a :name and :value filter option.

Yes I understand what you want to have and probably it’s a good idea to have it more integrated (also with MetaBox of course :smiley: ). Maybe you can add it to the idea board as I think it won’t have that high priority because of the function callback option we already have there.

You wouldn’t need to create a function for every field. What you need to do is create a function which takes the field-id as parameter (since I’m a metabox user i don’t now the exact function names of ACF you probably have to look up which function is responsible for returning the value), it could look like this:

function get_ACF_fieldValue($fieldname)
// I think it's called get_field in ACF to retrieve the field, but probably you need to use another function
return get_field($fieldName)
}

in bricks you could then use

{echo :get_ACF_fieldValue('YOURFIELDID')}

That should work as a global function and you don’t need to write a function for each field! :wink:

Hope that helps meanwhile!

Grüße

1 Like

What is the output of {acf_ausstellung_to_artist:text value} ?

Thanks for your suggestion.
I have tried:
{echo: get_ACF_fieldValue(‘ausstellung_to_artist’)}

<?php

function get_ACF_fieldValue($fieldname){
// I think it's called get_field in ACF to retrieve the field, but probably you need to use another function
return get_field($fieldname);
}

And it generates a critical error. Think have to play around more

Hello, thanks for your help!
It sadly ignores the filter and output: "artist="<a href="https://staging.fotohof.org/?kuenstlerinnen=rudi-frey" aria-label="Read more about Rudi Frey">Rudi Frey</a>""

Oh yeah sorry it was not ment to be used directly.

I hardly know anything about ACF and I’m not even sure if that get_field() function exists or if its called slightly different. You would have to look in their docs.

One of these functions should do the trick

No problem :slight_smile: Was just trying if we would be lucky. The get_field function is the right one, but I guess it cannot be used so easily. Could also be as this field is a relationship field, that it be used somehow within the loop. Sadly I am not that advanced in coding yet.

Post on ACF forum. I am pretty sure you will get a solution there.

1 Like

Hmm I wish I could help you :smiley:

If i know hardly anything about ACF I don’t know anything about relationships in ACF … But what you could try to do is to navigate on that page where you want to use that dynamic data and kind of debug it inside a code-elemnt of bricks.

first code to test is

echo get_field('YOURFIELDI');

if that outputs something you can try to output the function like so:

function get_ACF_fieldValue($fieldname){

return get_field($fieldname);
}
echo get_ACF_fieldValue('YOURFIELDID');

if that also works then the only thing that could be wrong in using it with dynamic data is that you placed the function at the wrong place. I would recommend you to use the child-theme or a plugin like WPCodeBox, Code-Snippets and so on.

Thanks very much for your help! It’s a really great community here :slight_smile:

I have played around a bit, and I got following to work (It is the specific function)

{echo:get_artist_list_for_attribute}
<?php

function get_artist_list_for_attribute(){

$featured_posts = get_field('ausstellung_to_artist');
if( $featured_posts ): ?>
<?php $my_list = array(); ?>
    <?php foreach( $featured_posts as $featured_post ): 
        $title = get_the_title( $featured_post->ID );
        $custom_field = get_field( 'field_name', $featured_post->ID );
        ?>
            <?php $my_list[] = $title; ?>
    <?php endforeach; ?>

<?php $str = implode (" ", $my_list); ?>

<?php endif; ?>

<? 
return $str;
}

My guess it that the ACF needs the whole loop, because of the relationship field, for outputting on the front end.
Now the output is as wished:

artist="Fritz Macho"
1 Like

Coool stuff → that’s what I ment with "I don’t know too much about ACF, probably your field-type requires a loop, can’t imagine that a single text field would also need a loop!)

I’ve adapted your snippet to make it more dynamically. Now you could use {echo: get_artist_list_for_attribute('FIELDID')} to reuse that function on every field of the same type!

Please let me know if that also works! :wink:

1 Like

@wolfgang

Great! Thanks a lot. Yes, it works flawlessly.

For other readers: ACF return format must be set to “Post Object”.

{echo:get_name_list_from_acf_relationship_field('ausstellung_to_artist')}

<?php

function get_name_list_from_acf_relationship_field($fieldname){

$featured_posts = get_field($fieldname);
if( $featured_posts ): ?>
<?php $my_list = array(); ?>
    <?php foreach( $featured_posts as $featured_post ): 
        $title = get_the_title( $featured_post->ID );
        $custom_field = get_field( 'field_name', $featured_post->ID );
        ?>
            <?php $my_list[] = $title; ?>
    <?php endforeach; ?>