Custom Post Types (CPT) and custom fields - what plugin seems to work best with Bricks at the moment?

I’m currently playing around with Bricks Builder by recreating one of my client’s one-pager websites and so far so good. Thinking ahead though for possible future client websites needing more dynamic content (like CPTs and with custom fields), what plugins are you finding works best with Bricks?

I’ve heard that Bricks Builder already natively supports Meta Box? But I can’t find that anywhere for some reason. I know others use ACF and Toolset, and I’ve used Pods in the past with Elementor sites. Not sure how Pods does with Bricks, if any are better than the other in terms of compatibility with Bricks or if they’re all pretty much the same.

Let me know your thoughts and what you use. :slight_smile:

I know that whenever I asked a question regarding dynamic content for WooCommerce, Thomas defaulted to suggesting and providing a quick, helpful, video using ACF. If that helps.

I planned to use Pods for that. As soon as I’ve run my tests I’ll be back to give you feedback.

Bricks out of the box support both ACF & Metabox (https://metabox.io/) For the majority of simple projects both free versions are capable.

I did buy the metabox LTD on appsumo, however I have a feeling it has a bug with your sitemap, so go back to ACF. This is not a bricks issue as experienced in on Elementor too.

If you prefer PODS or Toolset, get it on the feature request and if enough vote for it, they will at it to the roadmap.

Just realized Bricks lists the ones they are compatible with at Dynamic Data – Bricks Academy - and currently it states the following:

Custom Fields Integrations

You can render much more than just standard dynamic WordPress data. Bricks supports the most popular custom fields plugins such as:

• Advanced Custom Fields
  • Pods
  • Meta box
  • CMB2
3 Likes

Hello @d19dotca,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, Bricks supports ACF&ACF Pro, Pods, Meta Box and CMB2. Toolset support is on the ideas board.

3 Likes

Hi, To extend the question a bit … How do you display the custom field values on the Posts element?

I have a simple CPT created in Metabox. It has a single text field ( as well as the basic WP fields ).
I can create new cpts using this.
But if I create a page with the Posts element on it and choose to display the CPT posts … I see the WP fields on the cards but not the custom field.
I have added the custom field to the Posts element - it was selectable from the dynamic data.

So why won’t the custom field display?

Here’s how the Posts element looks in bricks.

Thanks
Alan

Hello @alanj,

The field you inserted is a text field assigned to the CPT “post”. Is that the CPT you are using in the posts element?

Meta Box Dynamic Data tags are grouped by CPT. My guess is that you inserted a tag assigned to the Posts CPT and not to the CPT you are using in the Posts element.

If this is not the case, could you please send us one email to help @ bricksbuilder.io and share with us temporary login credentials so we could check this for you?

1 Like

@luistinygod you are spot on. Not sure how that happened as “post” doesn’t have that field on it.
I also noticed that a similarly named ACF field seems to exist, even though ACF is not installed.

I changed the metabox fieldgroup to use the correct cpt post and updated the fields on the Posts Element and on the Bricks Single Template. Sadly neither are actually displaying the field value.

I’ll clear out the site or create a new clean one to retest on. I suspect I have confused it, and me!

Cheers
Alan

Cleaned out and rebuilt my test site.
Recreated the CPT but still not able to display a Metabox custom field value on the Posts element cards nor within the Single Template.

I’ve sent an email with access details etc.

Cheers
Alan

I tested a bit with Custom Post Type UI and Advanced Custom Fields – WordPress-Plugin | WordPress.org Deutsch.

Everything worked fine:
The only thing, I miss to select is the Bricks content.

You can see the result here:

Or did i missunderstand you and you are looking for a different solution?