Bricks & Local WP

I have used Laragon for 24 hours now. This is how it compares to LocalWP

1) Performance: Best performance out of box. Core hardly uses any ram something like 4MB. Ram usage of services will depend on what you and that is same for any such application. It’s faster than LocalWP with router mode - localhost, magicsync disabled and other tweaks.

2) SSL: Works fine out of box and not buggy like LocalWP. Works fine with both Apache & Nginx.

3) Modularity: Laragon was last updated in 2021 but it’s easy to add latest packages manually and the support forum is active with all guides for updates. I have personally downloaded the portable version and added the packages which I wanted to test on. LocalWP is not so modular.

4) Live Links: It uses ngrok for live previews. The implement doesn’t work out of box since Ngrok have moved to API & account creation norm. You need to add one line of api key to make it work. But I have ditched it and used localtunnel. No need to create account and live links work fine with SSL. LocalWP live links work out of box and no config required. It is recommended to use a plugin like relative links when using such feature for preview and disable when editing the site as Bricks won’t load with relative urls plugin enabled. Relative URLs – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

5) Creation: One click WP installation like LocalWP.

6) Cloning: One click cloning like LocalWP.

7) Open Source: Laragon is open source unlike LocalWP. leokhoa/laragon: Laragon is a portable, isolated, fast & powerful universal development environment for PHP, Node.js, Python, Java, Go, Ruby. It is fast, lightweight, easy-to-use and easy-to-extend. (github.com)

8) OS Support: Limited to Windows only. Not cross platform like LocalWP. So if you are not using Windows then you will have to skip this nice little program. LocalWP performs better on other oses than windows though.

9) URLs: Pretty URLs like LocalWP.

I hope the comparison helps.

4 Likes

@shenom You can disable Google Fonts in Bricks from theme settings in newer versions. That solve this issue. Bricks does not handle Google fonts properly for some reason and it creates issue on particular devices slowing down the site.

Laragon was updated to ver 6 that updates the packages and improves ngrok support. :smiley:
leokhoa/laragon: Laragon is a portable, isolated, fast & powerful universal development environment for PHP, Node.js, Python, Java, Go, Ruby. It is fast, lightweight, easy-to-use and easy-to-extend. (github.com)

1 Like