ACF Dynamic Data

Hey :slight_smile:

I tried to make some custom fields with ACF and then put it on a bricks page with dynamic data.
But for example the text or picture is not visible. At the picture comes the text: empty.

So what do i wrong?

I see the fieldname in bricks but i think itā€™s empty. (i filled it with some text and one picture)

Thank u for your help

Greetings

Andre

I got so discouraged trying to build a page with custom fields working with Bricks, I decided to use Gutentor to build my post content and then just used the post content element in Bricks to show the content in the Bricks Template I created. There is only one element in the content of my page that is actually added with Bricks, other than post content.

I hope things get much better because it is extremely frustrating trying to figure out which of the Bricks elements accept custom fields and which do not. That is my experience so far.

Based on what I can figure out, Bricks only pulls in elements Bricks builds (unless someone builds a plugin that works with Bricks), and is supposed to be friendly toward ACF but a lot of things donā€™t allow ACF fields or ACF shortcode.

Hi @ARAKZ,

i already used acf fields a lot and never had those problems (but others). I just tried it in my bricks testinstallation and it works as expected. See my steps until minute 2:00. After that i changed the acf return values for the image field, but it works in every case.

Hi @KoncordDigital,

this is the recommended way for writing and displaying posts within bricks (except for the gutentor thing).

Can you please share a screenshot, or a video (backend / frontend) or a live link to a post youā€™ve built? I donā€™t know how complex your posts are, but this sounds somehow interesting.

For example?
The acf shortcode is supposed to be used inside the bricks shortcode element or gutenberg shortcode block / widget, because it is a shortcode.

I think there are many more problems or maybe feature requests redarding to custom fields in bricks like no conditions (you cannot hide x if field y is empty - except if using custom code), the ability to grab data from another post or page id (except if using the shortcode element with an acf shortcode or custom code) and some moreā€¦ but that would go beyond the scope now. Bricks is still in a relatively early stageā€¦ we should not forget that :wink:

I think i will write a post about my experiences building with bricks, show some examples and workarounds (mostly custom code, which is also a pain since the code editor is broken in 1.3.3) in the near future.

4 Likes

Hi @timmse,

Thank you for that. I will do as you request and create a video of my experience. I will have to recreate something so that I can show what I was talking about. I have pretty much completed what I was trying to do the way I figured out how to do it.

It wil take me a little time to go back. But I will do it.

Yes, I cannot forget that Bricks is still in ā€œrealitively early stageā€. There are a lot of posts where people are reminded of that fact. What I call upon is what is said to be available with Bricks on the bricksbuilder.io site. Some of those things are not complete, but the sales page doesnā€™t say it will someday have these features, it says that Bricks is already that. So, early stage isnā€™t a good excuse. Just my opinion. I am working on adjusting my expectations. :wink:

Thank you again.

Hi Karen,

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Yes, you are right that some things are not complete, others are nearly useless (eg using custom fields within the accordion, because there is no repeater or query option yet so youā€˜ll get only one entry - for what?)ā€¦

But at least there is still the option to get things done with custom code, but thatā€™s truly not what to expect from a drag and drop page builder :wink:

1 Like

@timmse,

Update - Going back over what I had previously attempted to do, Iā€™m finding that I might not have been doing things correctly. Iā€™m actually seeing that I most likely will be able to accomplish what I want to do with ACF and Bricks alone. I will update with results when I can.

Thanks

Hi Karen, sounds good!
If itā€˜s possible directly in bricks, a lot of bloat will be removed from your site - and thatā€˜s always good :slight_smile:

Btw., a lot of stuff regarding to custom fields, repeater, conditional logic etc is already on the idea board and will find itā€˜s way into bricks in the future.

Can you make a video Tutorial on how to make a front end form with ACF and Bricks builder for example a Reviews form. i try to do it with ACF documentation and i get lost, and i do not want to use more plugins, please create one