IMPLEMENTED: Multiple Templates Don't need Auto-reload

While I am thankful for the multi-template dropdown feature, I am not keen of the remote template forcing a re-download everytime I select one of the options.

Slows me WAY down. It’s not necessary but should remain optional.

PLEASE make the reload optional as it was before.

3 Likes

A switch in the settings to reload each time…and another switch for importing images or not.

That would make it perfect for me.

I would like to add, that the last selected library should stay selected, as in normal case when you build a page you generally use the same library for consistency

I think the default should not to reload each time and then hit the reload like before to reload the library.

I DO like the idea of a “sticky” last library used yet not as important at the first change. Do "last used sticky selection does sound inovative and useful to me.

1 Like

Hi @jmcbade,

Yup you’re right, it can get annoying. The reason it’s happening is that Bricks no longer saves remote template data in the database. However, we can still improve this by adding some caching on the client so you wouldn’t have to wait for templates to load every single time you open the templates manager. I added this to our to-do list :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Hi @MarcelHeiniger,

Yup, you’re right I think it makes sense to save the last used source. That’s already on our to-do list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would be awesome to set which source is saved in the database. I have 2 remote sources. 95% of the time I want to use a template from Frames.

Or save only the last used template source in the DB maybe?

I love the multi-source ability and I think many will mix and match templates from various sources, yet I primarily use two: My own templates and Frames. I often will use and modify a Frame and then save it as my own version.

As I think about it, the need to re-select Frames over and over was a hassle and the dropdown improved on that. When I saw that the Frames templates had to be downloaded and updated EVERY TIME :stuck_out_tongue: I want to use one and is painfully slow. It’s a formidable time killer :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I would characterize this as a design oversight that ought to appear corrected in a timely minor update. I am surprised it wasn’t caught in the QA review process.

That being said, I am NOT beating you up about it, just really looking forward to this being corrected. I am encouraged you seem to see it also and the team will be addressing it.

Rock on team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah agreed, it gets quite annoying.

The templates no longer being saved in the database is solving another issue related to memory usage, so I think having the cache on the client side is the best of both worlds. And when you need fresh data you could just “reload” just as it was before.

Interesting. So when you say the client side, you are talking about the computer that is doing the development correct? And will (is?) there a caching mechanism in the Bricks product that will create and manage the cache? What will trigger the refresh - would it be when the dev person hits the “refresh” arrow circle? I think that’s what you are saying :slight_smile:

The default to the last used library seems like a good idea to me.

Yes, correct, the computer on which you’re doing dev would cache the templates. Hitting refresh would pull fresh data just like before. And when the cache is expired new data is also pulled.

Sorry, just being clear.
Bricks creates this cache and maintains it then?
Nothing additional required (3rd party)?

Thanks for you time to answer :slight_smile:

Yup only using the browsers’ built-in APIs :slight_smile:

I am sure the development team is working madly on all the requests and I know you care about “everything Bricks”. I imagine that this issue is likely already in the workflow.

Things in the roadmap are still being worked on and I feel the sense of priority on things I happen to care about, are now high on the roadmap chart. I am really looking forward to these being completed.

Looking back on other quick responsive minor updates that involved important workflow issues, I feel this one that really impacts workflow in a significant way falls into that “special category” of a quick fix rather than waiting for the next drop - unless this next update is just around the corner.

My background is working for software development companies so I know how these decisions and priorities are navigated, but I want to say as a Frames user, this one is really slowing me down and “making me a bit cross” :slight_smile:

Bricks v1.9.5: Thanks for making the selection sticky but disappointed that the Remote templates have to load every time we use them. Really needs to be a selectable behavior by default and actionable with the load icon.

1 Like

Hi guys,

We’ve added this improvement in Bricks 1.9.8 beta, now available as a manual download in your account (see changelog).

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

As with any beta release, please do not use it on a production or live website. It is only meant for testing in a local or staging environment.