SOLVED: Bricks edits dissapear

Okay this is serious issue now. Last night I made a new section to this page I’m working on. I opened the page to work on it this morning and my section is gone. Vanished. As if it was never there. There’s nothing in the history panel. The revisions panel doesn’t have any revision that has the new section. I have zero caching or optimization plugin or solution, no CDN, as this is kind of a staging environment because the website isn’t launched yet. I have to create the section all over again. Thank God it wasn’t too complex so I can create again.

3 Likes

ok. that’s sounds critical. hopefully this will get a fix asap. me had issue with hitting 10x save and nothing gets saved and changed on frontend. but 11th click did the job. very very strange… :confused:

Hello there, friends.
I had the same issue, but I believe it was caused by having multiple Tabs open in my browser while editing the same page. When I got it and don’t do it again, everything seems to be fine and there is no more loss :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey guys, unfortunately, we still haven’t found a way to create or reproduce the problem and therefore don’t have a starting point.

Of course, this is a critical problem that we would like to fix immediately - but we need your input. The more you try to force the issue, the more likely it is that a reproducible path will emerge :fist:

1 Like

Bricks 1.6-beta2

This might help.

See video: Recording #36

This is with the logo button set to open up the preview of the page.

1. Open up a page to edit.
  2. Make some changes similar to what I did in the video.
  3. Save.
  4. Click the logo button on the upper left to see preview.
  5. Use browser back button to go back.
  6. Notice changes have reverted.
  7. Save.
  8. Exit the builder and the preview, and then open the page again.
  9. The settings you thought were saved are gone and it is showing the edits from step #3.
2 Likes

Bricks 1.6-beta2

This is similar, but it is another way to lose changes.

See video Recording #39

This is with the logo button set to open up the preview of the page.

2. Make a change similar to what I did in the video.
  3. Save.
  4. Click the logo button on the upper left to see preview.
  5. Use browser back button to go back.
  6. Notice changes have reverted.
  7. Copy URL and open it in a new second tab.
  8. Make a change in the second tab.
  9. Go back to the first tab and toggle the query loop on and off for a container.
  10. Save.
  11. When you view the page, the change you made in the second tab is gone.
1 Like

The third way to lose changes is smiliar, but uses the Preview Mode Button to open in another tab.

2. Make a change.
  3. Save.
  4. Click the Previe Mode Button, then click View on Frontend button.
  5. In the new tab, click Edit With Bricks on the WP Admin Toolbar.
  6. Make a change.
  7. Click the Previe Mode Button button and notice the preview opens up on front end just like the logo button opens a preview.
  8. Click the browser back button.
  9. The builder now shows the page before you made the change in step #6 the same as if you had used the logo button to open a preview.
  10. If you make any changes, like toggling a setting on and off, then save. The change in step #6 is gone.

A fourth way to lose changes it similar, but you do this.

1. Turn off autosave in settings.
  2. Open page to edit in builder.
  3. Make a change, but do not save.
  4. Open the page to edit in another tab.
  5. Make a different change and save.
  6. Close the second tab.
  7. Go back to first tab and save.
  8. The change made in step #5 is now gone.
1 Like

Two simple ways to lose changes:

1. On any page, add a heading element.

2. Save this change.

3. Click the preview button and then the view front-end button and you can see the new heading.

4. Click the browser back button.

5. The new heading is missing in the bricks canvas.

6. Refresh the browser and the heading reappears in the canvas. If you try and refresh the canvas, the heading does not reappear.

7. Add a basic text element to the same page.

8. Save this change.

9. Click the preview button and you can see the basic text.

10. Click the browser back button which takes you out of the Bricks editor.

11. Click the browser forward button which takes you back into the bricks editor on the same page.

12. The basic text is missing from the page.

13. Refresh the browser and the basic text reappears in the canvas. If you try and refresh the canvas, the text does not reappear.

So the change is still there (somewhere) but it is lost by the bricks canvas after the browser back button is used. If you add another element to the page without refreshing the browser and then save, the missing change is lost forever.

In both cases above, auto save is disabled in the Bricks settings > Builder section.

2 Likes

All right guys,
Thanks so much for providing us with reproducible steps :pray:

I was able to reproduce the issue and added it to the bug tracker.

Best regards,
timmse

4 Likes

Hi,

Same issue here unfortunately. I do have a backup; is there a DB table i can check/edit for the lost classes? Or any way to just copy/paste the “old” pages with the styling into the live website with all classes available and save again?

Jasper

The classes deleted are shown as “undefined”

Have a look in the wp_options table for the option_name “bricks_global_classes” Try to paste the option_value into unserialize.com and see if it returns a formatted array.

Thnx. Unfortunately, not there anymore. Only the newly added classes after the dissapearance. But … if i overwrite this option_value with a backup do they come back ?

Hard to say. Can you try pasting the option_value from your backup into unserialize.com to see if it is corrupt?

1 Like

I pasted a backup SQL; it has all classes:

Imported it on the live website but no luck in getting the deleted classes back.

Hmmm quite strange that the classes are available in the DB but not selectable in the panel:

After some trial and error, I’ve fixed your serialized code! Paste the value of the input field here into your option_value for bricks_global_classes

The issue was the line breaks in _cssCustom. Removing the linebreaks and updating the string length resolved the issue and I was able to use your custom classes in my fresh installation of WP/Bricks.

Paging @timmse

2 Likes

Man, you ROCK! You might nailed the complete issue here :slight_smile: probably all people above also have customCSS somewhere?

Joep

1 Like

Hi guys,
We’ve fixed this bug in Bricks 1.7 beta, now available as a manual download in your Bricks account: Account – Bricks

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Best regards,
timmse

2 Likes

Im facing the same problem in a site that have bricks 1.6.1 version :confused: Can you please share the steps to use de unserialize tool and fix the undefined classes, please?