Some of the DIVS changed from display flex to block

Bricks Version: 1.5-RC
Browser: Chrome 90.- Version 103.0.5060.134 (Official Build) (64-bit)
URL: http://agb-digitalmarketing.xyz

I build a site using the 1.4.0.2 Bricks Version. I decided to test Bricks Version 1.5 beta using a staging site and was happy with the introduction of DIVS. It only caused a couple of minor issues that I quickly fixed.

In preparation for Bricks Version 1.5, I made design changes using Bricks Version 1.5 beta. The intention was to transfer from staging to live once the production Bricks Version 1.5 was ready.

As soon as I upgraded to Bricks Version 1.5 RC, it changed some of my DIVS from flex or Grid to display block. I’m worried that if I were to upgrade from 1.4.0.2 Bricks Version to 1.5, it’d break my site.

So I’ve created a new site on Bricks Version 1.5 beta, and if you’d like to upgrade it to Bricks Version 1.5 RC, see what happens.

I think that if it’s possible, can we have the option to turn off the block element in settings?

3 Likes

They renamed div to block in 1.5 RC and introduced a clean element with zero styling - new div. You can change the theme styles for div element to function it like the old div element / current block element.

What a mess!
Now whenever I add a Div element it is set to display:block. And the “Block” element is always set to “Flex”.

But in the theme the “Div” element is set to “display:flex”. :man_shrugging:

Use the theme styles to interchange both of them if you like.

In Div=Display:Flex theme style, but when adding a Div element anywhere on the site, Div=Display:Block.

i will never understand why this new extra div element got introduced without any info. now we got two div elements with minimal difference. very worrying.

What are you worried about?

1 Like

@grafikundso You don’t use what you don’t want to. As simple as that. I like the additional flexibility I get with one more element.

1 Like

sure but how many other elements we gonna see next with minimal changes like this one. and yes i know that i can ignore this one, its still more than confusing. but i just wait for 1.5 update when all with live pages gonna crash their layouts, seems some extra support is what they want to get as result.

I don’t think there will be more elements for the layout. Current setup can accomodate grid comfortably. Preferred will be flex as it is now and you change from display flex to grid.

yeah we will see. i never expected two nearly identical div elements added as main layout elements. one named block lile a gutenberg block. but yeah, seems some love. confusing solutions.

Hey everyone :wave:

I can understand the confusion the new layout elements might have caused.

I could have done a better job announcing this change before dropping the RC. And provide better documentation/explanation. The latter I hope has improved with the follow information …

I’ve rewritten the “Understanding The Layout” article in the Academy to explain the layout elements in 1.5 in more detail: Understanding The Layout – Bricks Academy

Would love to get everyones feedback on the article. Is anything in this article unclear or missing?

The upcoming 1.5 stable release video should add some more clarity as well.

P.S.: The “Insert layout” Bricks setting mentioned at the end of the article & some of the theme style settings are not included in 1.5-rc, but will in 1.5-stable.

5 Likes

Thanks, @thomas

I understand it now.

If I were to upgrade my site from 1.4.0.2 to the stable 1.5 and if some containers are changed to DIVS.

Would those DIVS reset to display block, or would my existing styling remain, i.e. display flex?

My only concern is that it could break existing sites. @omega @TonyPas

I found this diagram from @Cracka on Facebook and find it very useful. Consider adding to academy article.

2 Likes

the problem i see is that there was no communication at all and it showed up out of nowhere. combined with naming it like a gutenberg block. worst possible confusion, and i also still can’t find any single request for an extra nearly similar div element. but ok, seems this is the way things are handled here, accepted.

1 Like

I some things here

• Ok I’m able to change how elements act in default theme → What happens if I export templates to another installation with other settings? Which element leads? Source or import?

• The version communication. Don’t get me wrong. It’s your baby.
    As a user, I feel bad when things suddenly appear out of nowhere that have not been communicated or announced and have a significant impact on the structure.
    Now there is also the fact that you have revised the structurearticle, in which there are again new elements that are not on any roadmap nor in the rc to test. I had to revise my comments in my thread now the umpteenth time because any information drops rain in from all sides.
    Maybe I’m wrong but isn’t it so that features come in a beta and the RCs are only meant to fix bugs?

• The naming. The name Blocks has multiple meanings and is easily misunderstood. Everything else about this has already been written several times.

• Ui consistency - We’re able to add prestyled elements like block and container from the elements menu but not the layouts. From the canvas I’m able to create the premade layouts and hitting the + dont’t work as the + menu for elements because it adds instant a block but not a div (maybe here the global option come in the game). Yes I’m able to convert them with right click, we’re also able to talk about. Convert? Ok how? Wait there are two tiny lightgrey icons with a texthover… Why not two simple text options? Convert to div, convert to container.

• My problems with a consistent didactic workflow I adressed in my thread - no reason to repeat it here.

I would really like to see more transparent communication. I see the cool roadmap and the feature list as a great strength of this product. It creates security and predictability. Quick fixes like this RC version only unsettle parts of the community and especially me.

1 Like

Thomas, in the preset layout pop-up, can toggles be added to choose whether you want to insert blocks for the columns or DIVS? This could be expanded to add CSS Grid in due course (select the toggle would then display various grid presets).

Same here.
I have a test site and updated from 1.5-beta to 1.5-rc and all my divs with custom classes (mainly used for flex controls) turned into display:block. And when I click on one of the customer classes and back to the div id, it just changes back to display:flex! Bug I think.
Any admins want a video showing what happens please let me know, can supply.
Thanks

Hey @thomas

Could I check that whatever styles that I have on any container would remain the same unless using the tool to convert them to sections or DIVS?