SOLVED: Container can be saved as global element but is empty when recalled

Bricks Version: 1.4

Hi,

I thought that containers could not be saved as global elements (it seemed so when I tested it before, maybe 1.4RC2).

It seems it is possible now, but when I do it, the recalled element is always an empty container :frowning:

The original container transformed into global on the origin page is OK though.

Hi Yan,
Thanks so much for your report!

I was able to reproduce the issue and added it to our bug tracker.

Best regards,
timmse

1 Like

Hey Yan,
After consulting with Thomas I learned that we both obviously have wrong expectations :smiley:

When you save an element as a global element you save the selected element only.
Its children are not saved as those are different elements.

If a container contains other elements, and you’d like to save all of them, you have to save it as a template, not a global element. So this is not a bug :smiley:

Best regards,
timmse

1 Like

:rofl: OK got it!

Maybe some warning at save time could help?

Or an additional note here:

1 Like

It took me a while to find this topic. I spent a long time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

The video below ends up confusing a lot, because the layout on the screen shows a container with several images inside. I thought I would be able to save a section and all child elements.

Hey Andres,
No, the video shows the image gallery element, which is a single element :sunglasses:

Best regards,
timmse

1 Like

It would be wonderful to have the Reusable function in Bricks Builder. It is very useful in Oxygen Builder.

3 Likes

I also have a situation where I have a text button with certain styles and hover behaviors. IT is basically a link wrapper with text and icon children. And I need to be able to change the source style and have it update the styles all across the website. But at the same time, be able to update the links of individual instances of the button.

I also posted about this problem on the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/1691152459/videos/1243241006601771/

So far, I have saved it as a template and then applied the template as a shortcode so it is constantly connected and updatable from the main template. Problem now is how do I give the button an individual link?

Edit: I could wrap the shortcode itself in a link wrapper yeah?

Hi Oscar,
Welcome to the forum!

Right, that would be a solution. Alternatively, you can style your button using one (or more) class(es) that you can change globally, which is the better alternative, from my point of view.

Best regards,
timmse