SOLVED: Certificate has expired when activating license

Bricks Version: 1.3.4
Browser: Chrome 93
URL: https://imgur.com/a/3ubK4Yi

Hi,

I am receiving a ‘cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired’ error when attempting to activate Bricks with the license key listed in my account. I am attempting this with a local copy of WordPress installed and running within https://localwp.com/.

Please see the screenshot in the above imgur link. I have removed my license key for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the builder,

Ben.

Hi @craneinteractive,

I had the same problem yesterday on a few test installations, also with local by flywheel.
I don’t know exactly what the problem is, but you can fix it temporarily by editing the following file bricks/includes/license.php at line 223.

Just uncomment “// ‘sslverify’ => false,” and the activation should work.

Btw., the problem occurs only on macos, on windows everything works as expected.

Best Regards,
timmse

OK, thanks for the workaround. I had a similar issue with another web app only on macOS and iOS. I wonder if the cert in use is issued by LetsEncrypt and Apple devices are caching the root certificate that expired last week. I expect it’s one of those issues that will sort itself out.

1 Like

Hello @craneinteractive,

Welcome to the Bricks forum!

Thanks so much for reporting this issue. I traced the issue down: Let’s Encrypt, our SSL certificate provider, made a change (DST Root CA X3 Expiration (September 2021) - Let's Encrypt), which cause this SSL error. Unfortunately, after September 30th, some platforms don’t trust the Let’s Encrypt ISRG’s “ISRG Root X1” certificate, which causes this error.

So, the workaround mentioned by @timmse is valid, but as a good practice, the Bricks theme should not be changed because those changes will be lost as soon as you update the theme. Our suggestion is to install (and activate) the Bricks child theme (you can get a copy of it through your Bricks account page) and add the following code snippet to the functions.php file:

add_filter( 'bricks/remote_get', function( $args ) {
  $args['sslverify'] = false;
  return $args;
} );

This code snippet will also fix a similar issue with the “Community Templates”. Some users reported that these templates are not visible anymore since September 30th.

1 Like

Hello @timmse, @kaoticos, @craneinteractive

If you are still experiencing the ‘cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired’ on license activation/deactivation please re-install the Bricks version 1.3.4 (download it manually from your Bricks account page).

For those who cannot see the “Community Templates” in the builder, please install (and activate) the Bricks child theme (you can get a copy of it through your Bricks account page) and add the following code snippet to the functions.php file:

add_filter( 'bricks/remote_get', function( $args ) {
  $args['sslverify'] = false;
  return $args;
} );

Thank you!

thx, but when i add this code at the end of the functions.php, i will get an error on my site. :thinking:

Hello @Nightingale
Is there any error message?
Could you please contact the Bricks support at help@bricksbuilder.io and share with us temporary login credentials so we could check the issue for you?

email sent. thx in advance

1 Like