SOLVED: SEO page title affects the Post Title element and the list title in the Bricks pages menu

Bricks Version: 1.3.4
Browser: Chrome 94

If the page title is set for SEO purposes in the page settings (e.g. Site Title | Some Info About This Page), then this full title is rendered via the Post Title element, as well as in the Bricks menu page list. The SEO title should only be included in the source code for search engine use, not reproduced on the page for the site visitor.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to a page where no SEO page title has been set

2. Set the SEO page title in Settings >> Page Settings >> SEO >> Title, and save

3. Check the element where the Post Title is used

4. Check the Bricks menu list for pages

Good question. The description of the SEO “Title” setting is somewhat confusing. Maybe we should mention that this setting actually equals the “Post title”.

What I’d recommend is to edit the SEO “Title” to your liking and instead of using the “Post title” element you could use the “Heading” element, and add a custom “Title” that can be anything else. Would that work for you?

That sounds like a great solution. I like the ability to set the meta site data on a site without needing to an an SEO plugin. Thanks!

The only thing I would add is that when browsing the pages/posts through the Bricks top menu item, the full page/post title as set by the SEO title makes this list of pages/posts look cluttered. If the permalink title only is used, this list of pages/posts will be much easier to view and navigate from the Bricks interface:

1 Like

Hey Damian,

This bug has been fixed in Bricks 1.3.5. If you are still experiencing it in Bricks 1.3.5+, please let us know in this forum post.

Best regards,
timmse

Hi timmse,

Thanks for the notification. I have updated the site to v. 1.3.5, but I am still seeing the same behaviour:

• the full SEO title when set in Page settings >> SEO >> Title also appears in the Bricks menu list of pages/posts, and in the WordPress menu list of pages/posts.

Thanks,
Damian

Hi Damian,

I was working on >20 bugs last night, some of them very old, and was apparently a bit too well in the flow and didn’t express myself quite right… sorry please.

Changing the “Title” under the “SEO” page settings in Bricks is the same as changing the page title itself in WordPress. Just a different workflow.

However, since 1.3.5, the (very long SEO) titles no longer wrap, but are truncated at the end. This makes “Pages” much clearer, don’t you think?

The disadvantage of this is: Depending on how your SEO title is structured, you may not be able to recognize which page it is, I understand that. However, that’s not the only way to navigate through your pages. The alternative, of course, is still to use an SEO plugin such as RankMath, where you can generally adjust a lot more settings than you can in the simple settings within Bricks - and you can leave the page titles short enough that you can read them within Pages Navigtion.

Additionally, in Bricks 1.3.6 we will change the Title field label: “Title” will become "Title (= Post Title). This should show what’s happening and not lead to so many question marks on users’ foreheads anymore.

Is it ok for you to leave the post as solved?
For info, I don’t get paid for “SOLVED” :wink:

Greetings,
timmse

1 Like

Hi timmse,

Many thanks for the explanation, and no apology necessary. You are doing a fine job responding in the forum and fixing issues.

Now I can see that the title is truncated and does not overflow onto another line. A definite improvement. It’s also helpful to know that the SEO and page/post title are synonymous in Bricks.

I tend to use The SEO Framework as an SEO plugin, which takes care of the page/posts titles and meta descriptions. I’ll continue to use that, and I understand that Bricks needs to focus on its core role of page/site building.

I’m happy to leave the post maked as SOLVED.

Cheers,
Damian

1 Like

Thank you very much Damian, i appreciate that.

Yeah the SEO Framework is good as well from my point of view, used it before on some sites :+1: